Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Pleas help with engine oil issue!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by thekingsphance, Dec 5, 2008.

1. thekingsphance

thekingsphance Rockstar

I'm having an issue with my truck...my change engine oil warning is lighting up my 2001 Silverado's message center everytime I startup. This would obviously be a no brainer to anyone but there's just one problem...I just changed the oil in August and the type of oil I'm runnin now is Amsoil Synthetic, is anyone familiar? Amoil is supposed to be good for like 35,000 miles or a year, whichever comes first. Could my truck be lying to me about changing the oil or could my engine be on the verge of catastrophic internal failure? The only thing I can think of is something is failing internally and metal fragments or seals or whatever are contaminating my oil system. OR...it's a faulty indication. Help me out guys, I'd really appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

2. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

How many miles have you driven since august? Before 2004 the OCL came on at the recommended 3000 mile interval. After 2004 GM came up with the OIL Life system. which actually calculates by monitoring how you drive.

You may just have reached the 3000 mile mark. Check the oil and if all seems fine. Reset the light again. It will be completely up to you when to change the oil now.

3. SoonerSilverado11

SoonerSilverado11 Rockstar 100 Posts

Yea, most likely it is just going off at the "recommended" time interval or amount of miles. If you want it to stop and be completely your decision just reset it and keep track of your mileage yourself.

4. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yep and Yep on both posts, intervals is every 3k miles, I have Castrol Full Syn. and clear it when it thinks its time to change, nice if you forget, but a feature we don't use....

Jeff

5. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

I've never heard of an oil lasting that long. How much does a quart cost?

6. SoonerSilverado11

SoonerSilverado11 Rockstar 100 Posts

I am not sure I have either. Though it would probably be too intense for me to not change it after 5000/4 months haha.

7. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That sounds like a long time

And the Oil Life Monitor is not acurate at all, you can reset it at any time and it will return to 100%. :no:

8. thekingsphance

thekingsphance Rockstar

Thanks alot guys, I didn't realize that the warning system went off of mileage. I'll go ahead and reset the thing and keep an eye on my oil consumption.

9. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The GM Oil Life system actualy let's you know when it is time to change your oil based on how your vehicle is used and NOT from calculating mileage. Here is the GM SITE that explains the whole system and what it is designed for.

I actually stick to the old standard practice of changing my oil every 3000 miles.

10. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I actually stick to the old standard practice of changing my oil every 3000 miles.[/quote]

Use to be that, now its 5000 miles with full Synthetic, could go just a tad longer as its still has a little
    gold clean tint to it. All the trucks have it.....

Jeff