Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Please Help!!! 2000 Silverado High Idle.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by browning2000chevy, Mar 18, 2013.

1. browning2000chevy

browning2000chevy New Member

Hey everyone, Just bought a 2000 chevy silverado. i got alittle problem with it. it seems to be running at high idle. about 1500-2000 rpms when in park or neutral. hard shifts and doesnt want to shift until 3000 rpms on light throttle. i have a k&n cold air intake on it. any takes on how i can fix my problem. I have been told a numerous amount of things like tps, maf, and iac valve but the OBDII does not have any codes. please help me!!!! i love this truck. 158000 miles and runs great and looks great. please let me know. inbox or reply.

2. geo1

geo1 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

oh,so many possibilitys,try a squirt bottle with water in it,mist over top of engine,every where you think vacuum is,see if it changes r.p.m.s,post back,curios

3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The simplest thing (I basically have the same truck), I would:

1. Check to see if anything is holding the pedal in place ( I had a floor mat that would cause that to happen) and it was a "duh" moment when I figured that out. (Free)
    2. You could pull the mass air flow sensor out and clean it (make sure you get the right cleaner so you don't damage the sensor) and do not touch the sensor with your hands! ($8-$12 for a can of cleaner)
    3. That truck does not have many vacuum hoses, but it is worth a check (those are a cheap replacement also)

The bad is it could be a problem with the transmission, a rebuild on my tranny cost about $2000 for the tranny rebuild w/ upgraded parts and a tranny cooler and about $800 for the labor so about $2800 all together.

4. browning2000chevy

could a aftermarket maf do it if the parameters dont match the stock one. i just noticed it is not a stock maf because it has a cold air intake k&n on it. i just recently ran a intake system cleaner (almost like a seafoam but it's made by MOC) and after i ran the cleaner through it i washed the truck. noticed that i got the air filter alittle wet. it was hardto start after that and once i got it started it smoked on start up. no longer smoking. but still running at high idle. it acted up the other day and i read on another forum to shut it off and restart it because it would reset the parameters to the tps. i did and it ran good until today. when it started the high idle again.

- - - Updated - - -

squirted water over top all the vacuum lines and intake manifold and it didnt change rpm at all. stayed at about 1500 rpms. still got nothing this sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

i still got nothing. sprayed water over vacuum lines and intake manifold and it didnt change idle. idled at about 1500 rpm. im thinking i should start the old "replace and hope for the best". i have no idea what to start with though.

5. geo1

o.k.did you mist with water?if so use a vacuum guage,see where you are,hopefully 20ish on guage,im thinking you have a vacuum leak,otherwise a sticking/binding t.p.s can do the same,also undo vac.line to brake booster and plug off motor side,then run,as far as t.p.s.,unplug with key off than run it,see if changes r.p.m.repost,got me curious

6. browning2000chevy

where do i run the vacuum gauge from?????

- - - Updated - - -

yes i did mist with water and nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

and nothing happened when i misted it with the water.

- - - Updated - - -

unplugged tps and it ran no problems. as soon as i plugged the tps back it started idling normal then high. so i think its gonna need a tps. thanks everyone. ill keep everyone updated.

7. geo1

allright a little deeper now,the ecm has base parameters,i.e 14.7 air/fuel ratio,sensors hooked to,just adjust to,you name it,alt,temp and so on,always with key off,on both disconnecting & connecting sensors,try one at a time to alter high idle,m.a.f, t.p.s. i.a.c. best spot for vac.guage? f.p.r should be easy enough