1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Please help! ABS light must go out!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by StuckonGM, Feb 13, 2013.

1. StuckonGM

StuckonGM New Member

I found the problem code and repaired the wheel speed sensor. Afterwords re-scanned and no codes, but the ABS light is still on. I need to get the state inspection, my time is now out and I cannot drive the van on the road with an expired sticker. PA inspection will not pass when the ABS light is on and the shops charge over $100 to scan and turn off. I have an Actron with ABS reader that I was told would reset the fault codes and lights but there are no directions on how or if this can be done. Do I need a different scanner? I can exchange what I have now. If the battery was disconnected would that work?

Rich
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What year of vehicle are we talking about?? If its newer 04+, disconnect the battery cables and holes them together for about 5 seconds then reconnect them. This resets the bcm, which is what controls the abs function.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Actually, ABS has it's own computer, the BCM is not involved.
    Some codes can be reset by disconnecting the battery cables, however, the battery must be disconnected for at least 10 min.
    Depending upon the code, it may not reset.

And, speaking about codes. A lot of code readers will ready PCM codes; but will not read a lot of other codes. ABS codes are usually not read by the inexpensive parts store readers.
  4. StuckonGM

StuckonGM New Member

I have the Actron 9580 series which does scan and read ABS. No directions for use, either in the package or the company web site. I will try the battery later today otherwise I'm stuck and I don't want to buy a $2000 scanner just to turn off a light.