please help with radiator fan!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by thekingsphance, Oct 16, 2008.

1. thekingsphance

thekingsphance Rockstar

I'm swapping out my engine driven fan for an electric one. I can't figure out how to take the radiator fan off. The fan is connected to the fan clutch with four bolts and the fan clutch is connected to the drive shaft with a big nut. I can't figure out how to take the big nut off. It just spins the shaft when I get the wrench on it. Please help!

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What's the model/make/year of your GM vehicle? Most have four bolts that hold the fan clutch to the waterpump shaft/pulley. You undo the bolts and the fan and clutch come out together. You can then undo the bolts holding the fan to the clutch.
    [​IMG]

3. thekingsphance

thekingsphance Rockstar

it's a 2001 Silverado 1500 5.3L, The radiator fan and the clutch assembly are in fact connected with four bolts but I removed them and the clutch did not come off with the fan. the clutch is in front of the fan which mounts behind it with those four bolts. Now what I need to do to get the whole assembly off is a mystery. There is a large Nut between the fan and a pulley. The water pump is behind this pulley and is totally unaccessible. Any ideas?

4. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

you must remove the 4 bolts at the water pump then carefully pry off the fan blades and clutch unit as one chunk. i put card board or a old chunk of carpet in front of the raditor as when the fan comes off it will slam into the raditor and put a hole in it ( i done this a couple times..........mike

5. scooby2b2

scooby2b2 New Member

Fan Clutch Removal

With the serpentine belt still in place, put tenstion on the belt to hold the fan clutch in place and the BIG nut between clutch and pulley is reverse threaded and should come offfairly easily with a big wrench, 1 1/4" I do beleive.

6. thekingsphance

thekingsphance Rockstar

Thanks for the help guys, I actually had to go get a strap wrench to hold the water pump pulley because the belt wasn't tight enough and kept slipping while I removed the fan assembly. It actually wasnt reverse threaded it was lefty loosey. very easy to remove with the strap wrench .

7. scooby2b2

scooby2b2 New Member

Fan Clutch

I am glad to hear you got it. . . . :happy: