1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Please help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Rocket32, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Rocket32

Rocket32 New Member

I really, really need some advice, and fast!
    Here is my situation:

Bought my 08 Silverado LS is 2011. It was used, of course, with 39,000. Bought it for 22,500. About January of last year (2013) the ticking sound coming from the motor that I heard one time for about 2 minutes after I had the truck a month, returned. And again, it only last a little while. However, the next day I took it to get the oil changed and low and behold, the sound was happening so there was nothing anybody could do about it.
    5-6 months go by, July 2013 rolls around and boom, the ticking sound comes back (it's coming from under the hood by the way) and it's much more constant this time. I take it to the local Chevrolet dealership (not where I bought it from) and they listen to it, and tell me "we hear it but it's nothing that is too serious. If it was more serious, it would be effecting the performance of the truck." Which at the time, it was not.
    They even noted on the service report: 'making ticking noise, cause unknown.'
    The technician told me to return if it ever got worse.

Fast Forward to now, January 13, 2014, and it finally does it again...except this time in a much larger scale. I pull out onto the highway, truck had only been on for 5 minutes, start speeding up to 55 and out of no where, the tick is back but it's a knock, knock, knock, and the lights on the gauge are flashing, traction control off, stabilitrack off, check engine lights, the whole 9 yards.

Thankfully 100 yards away is the same Chevy dealership..I pulled in "hey, here's my truck that you told me to bring back when the noise got worse."

4 hours later I am told this:

1) $2900 to take apart your motor and figure out what the problem is, then pay whatever extra for repair if repairable.
    2) $4000-5000 to get a used motor put in
    3) $6475 to say forget figuring out your problem, put a new motor in.

The other option of course is to look into getting another vehicle, and this is where everything gets crazy:

I still owe $14,000 on my truck. I DO NOT have 3 or 6,000 dollars. They said I must pay them that before my truck can leave the premises.

What in the world should I do? Never thought I would be in this situation so not sure what to do. The technician told me he can tell I take care of my truck and this was probably something that was begun by whoever had it before me. Especially since there are no service records of the truck prior to me owning it. None. So that means whatever service was done, the owner probably did himself...

Please any thoughts are welcome. I have until Friday to make a decision then the dealership said my truck has to be off their lot.
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

Sorry about your situation.

To get your truck of the lot you only have to pay the diagnostic fee (which here is around $100). you could have it towed to another shop (pay for a tow and another diagnostic) but sounds like something is definately wrong. Outside of that its figuring out what is the best option for you. I had a similar tranny issue in one of my cars. I decided I wanted to keep the car as long as possible and paid the way to expensive cost of a new transmission. To be honest 1 and 2 may run you the same cost or more (if they charge 1 then decide it needs a new or used motor). Which kind of leaves you with 2 or 3 as options. This is where a second opinion by a mechanic may come in handy.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Theres no warranty on the truck at this time.
    So my question would be at the time you first brought it back for the noise was it still covered under warranty?
    Because if it was still under warranty, and they ignored the fact there was a problem by saying they couldnt reproduce it, or cause was unknown, without really researching the problem you might have leverage with the dealership or GM.
    Im not saying theyd foot the bill but you might get them to split the cost for repair/replacement.
    As far as holding the truck for $3000 or $6000 what work have they done to justify that cost? If it was just diagnostic to this point their way out of line and possibly attempting to use deceptive means to have the repair done at their dealership, which would make me not trust them and want work to be completed elsewhere.
  4. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

your problem is not all that uncommon with these nnbs 2007 and newer trucks. dealership is charging too much for this work. you owe more than the trucks value. your stuck with the loan payment . hard to say what you can do to resolve this . again since the engine is out of warranty GM will do nothing.

you have / had oil changes done . what oil did they use ? manufacturer ? viscosity ? dexos GM spec ? filters manufacturer ?

perhaps your oil / filter type may help others avoid these failures.

the dealership is not the place to go to have these repairs/replacements done. the dealership charges too much because they do not want to do this type work. the dealership makes profit on selling vehicles and doing small quick repairs same is true with their body shops .

call around your area and see if you can get a recommended shop that does these type repairs. see if they will work with you on a payment plan. possible to get a scrap yard replacement or opening the engine the repair maybe not too expensive. good luck .
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

I concur with [MENTION=39185]j cat[/MENTION] many smaller shops will do payment plans unlike dealers because small shops generally CARE about their customers because they want them to come back again and feel welcomed.