please help

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by codyp, Dec 24, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. codyp

codyp New Member

i have a 2001 silverado 5.3 z71 i just put a new trans in 3 weeks ago and tonight i was leaving a stop light and before the truck shifted into 2nd it just let go like it was thrown into neutral now it wont move at all it dont matter what gear its in it wont move please help i dont know what to do and im just frustrated with it thanks
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hey Cody, welcome to the GM truck club.
    Can you give a little more information, like which trans is this? type of trans?, installed by you or a shop?, salvage yard trans?, new trans?, rebuilt trans?, miles on trans? fluid leaks? last service performed? Have you checked the trans fluid? Is It low? Is it foamy? Did you hear any unusual noises before it let go?
  3. codyp

codyp New Member

Its a 4l60e i got from a junk yard it has all new fluids gaskets filter and a i had a shift imporver kit installed, the fluid looks good i installed it and there was no noises at all it just sounded and felt like i put it in neutral now it does nothin
  4. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member 100 Posts

did you put a new converter in it as well? only thoughts i have is sounds like bad converter or trans pump, or maybe the converter wasn't seated all the way... but i'm not a trans expert by any means so can't say for sure. Maybe something in the valve body? seems like it's not building any pressure though to be able to apply the engage clutches.
  5. stephan

Cody, what kind of clearance was there between the torque convertor lugs & the flex plate as the trans came in contact with the engine as you were bolting it together?
    X2 on Jasons post. This sounds like it could be a pump or convertor problem but there are several things that can affect these & cause problems. Some are simple & some more complex.
    Who installed the filter? Since you installed the trans, then you have the mech ability to R&I the pan. Pull it & see if the filter is still installed in the trans case or if it has fallen out. This pump could be just sucking air if there isn't a sealed connection at the filter tube. Have you checked your fluid level? I asked b4 & you didn't say. It could be as simple as low fluid cuz on a trans & convertor swap there are many air pockets, & HALF of a convertor that still need to be filled with fluid after it's started up. When you have addressed all these issues & haven't gotten any results, then I would call whoever installed the shift improver kit cuz this could also be a valve body problem.
    Post back here with some of these answers & we can walk you through these things, but we need some more answers first.
  6. codyp

codyp New Member

sorry i havent been on the fluid was right were it was suppose to be still red. there was probable an 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch between converter and the plate. the shift kit was installed by a friend who is a gm mechanic. i pulled the pan and everything is were it was suppose to be filter was on. i filled the converter wen i put it in and i got to drive the truck 3 weeks before it went out i have a feeling its the oil pump. the guy who helped me put it in brought up a concern that we had before we installed in wen i got it if u turned the converter by hand it kind squeaked as u pushed it. if its air how could i find out? or if its the converter?
  7. stephan

Ok, the 1/8" to 1/4" sounds good. The squeak when you were turning the tc could have been the tc seal if you didn't put a little atf on it before installing the tc. The best thing to do at this point since you have no drive, is hook up a pressure guage (200 psi) & see if you have 160-175 lbs pressure. If you don't then it's either a bad pump, a massive leak, or somethings broken off the converter & it can't drive it.
    The one ? in the equation is the shift kit. How many of these kits has your friend installed? Some of them can be tricky, & the gaskets, or steel could be bleeding pressure. I think I would R&I the vb & check it if your press test is bad, before I would fault the pump or the tc.
    R&I a vb is a lot easier than pulling the trans is why I would recheck it first.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  8. codyp

codyp New Member

hes done a few i only got a stage 1 u just replace 2 springs and put in a spacer and replace the metal gasket when we did it we even tighten the valve body bolts back down to specs it was like 10 inch pounds or something like that