Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Plug-And-Play GPS Navigation and DVD Car Stereos

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by frascona, Jul 25, 2014.

1. frascona

frascona New Member

Has anyone ever bought one of the exact fit GPS DVD Car Stereos from radio-upgrade.com ?

They say it is plug-and-play and it simply plugs into the factory wiring harness and fits perfect ... just like the stock radio. I would much rather spend $499 than upgrade to the dealer model with navigation for an extra $6000.

Online I found some reviews stating the the install was simple and the the radio looks factory perfect.

http://radio-upgrade.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=160

I was looking at alpine as an aftermarket GPS radio, but the fit does not look as good, and it costs 3x more.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the image of the installed radio from the website

http://radio-upgrade.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=160

Attached Files:

2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

If your truck doesn't already have GPS, then it's probably not plug-and-play. Do you have the GPS antenna installed and wire run?

There's also a reason it's much cheaper than the Alpine head unit. It's a "cheap" Chinese knock-off radio. I wouldn't buy one. It probably says it is plug-and-play, but I suspect you'll have plenty of issues, and I'd suspect the software is full of security problems, and the hardware might be as well. The Alpine is a higher quality product all around, and they have actual customer support and warranties. These cheap replica units that add features, are not high quality products with good customer support and warranties.

If you want the OEM Nav, but don't want to pay the dealer to install it, with full retail price for all the parts, find a wrecked truck in a yard that has it, and pull the head unit and the parts you'll need for it. Or try to find one cheap on eBay or Craigslist. People sell OEM head units all the time after replacing them with the Alpine/Kenwood/etc… units. You'll probably need a dealer visit to fix the VIN attachment of the head unit though. They are connected to the computer system in the modern trucks.
  3. Pat10

Pat10 New Member

I have the advent ogm1 unit that is a factory match and it's anything but junk. I'm very happy with it, It looks factory but has more features and works with the steering controls and xm. With Kenwood or alpine you're gonna pay extra for that. Although alpine just came out with a factory fit unit I had seen in my new Crutchfield catalog that's cool looking but way more than I'd pay close to 3k I think
  4. dobey

Nobody said your Advent system is junk. The thing linked by the OP is not the Advent or Rosen unit though. There are a lot of cheaper knock-off units made to look similar to OE units though, and they are lower quality. Advent and Rosen are known brands. The knock-offs do not generally have a brand attributed to them on the sites selling them (like the one in the OP here).

The "perfect fit" unit from Alpine that is $3000 costs that much because it's a giant thing. It replaces the bits that surround the stereo and hvac controls, as well as the head unit itself. Alpine also has a unit for about $550 that has a couple mechanical buttons, and would look pretty much factory, with one knob and a couple buttons on the driver side.

The units from Advent and Rosen look reasonable and both have a reasonable warranty. I would probably lean more toward the Rosen, if I wanted to get one of the two. But I wouldn't call them plug-and-play. Nothing is going to be plug-and-play without already having the factory navigation system installed. Any aftermarket system is going to require installing an antenna and probably a few other things, depending on what options your truck actually has, and what options you want.
  5. Pat10

Pat10 New Member

Actually the advent is plug n play plugs right in to your factory harness. I went with the advent over rosen because I have a friend who didn't like his and alot of reviews with the same complaints.
    Also a three year warranty isn't bad either.
  6. dobey

Where does it get the GPS signal from if you don't already have a GPS antenna from the factory? Or the back-up camera?

The OP doesn't have factory navigation, and didn't mention the Advent. The link there is to a no-name factory-look replacement, and explicitly states it doesn't work with OnStar.
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Do you have a smart phone? Most smart phones these days have maps/gps already. Way cheaper than what you are looking at.
  8. Pat10

Pat10 New Member

It comes with an gps antenna for signal if you don't have factory.
    Has plug in for your factory or aftermarket backup camera.
    Btw I've understood this whole time
    That the op was showing a knockoff unit just trying to offer an option.