Plug wire seperators - 99 k1500 suburban

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by DigDirt, Dec 30, 2010.

1. DigDirt

DigDirt New Member

At 120k, I just replaced the plugs, cap & rotor. I also have new wires but cannot figure how to undo the old plug wire seperators. Can the old seperators be re-used or do I need to buy new ones?

Thanks,

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

They can be reused, u need a small screwdriver to opne them..its tricky and most of the time they break..due to the plastic age !

I just use small zipties to seperate mine..or any aftermarket ones will do !

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 on the previous replies, but at 125,000 miles on a '99 the engine has been through so many heating & cooling cycles that the plastic will break no matter how carefull you are. Even knowing how they come apart does not help. I still break them if they have more than 75,000 100,000 miles on them. Just buy new ones, they're cheap..

4. silleffej

silleffej Member

I use small zip ties as well. That seems to do the trick just fine and they are cheap. Unless you are going for looks of course!

5. DigDirt

DigDirt New Member

Thanks for the advice. The boot on plug #3 split when I pulled it off. It doesnt seem to affecting performance at all. Can I just replace that boot?

6. silleffej

silleffej Member

I don't know if your auto store will sell a single wire or not but you might try. I got a new wire for my #1 plug not to long ago when my #1 fell out of a broken clip and laid against my exhaust manifold. I spent like $7.00. Just to be safe, I would replace just that one wire. Then I would zip tie everything up!