Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Plugged a Bad EGR. What can this cause.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Josh, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Josh

Josh Member 100 Posts

i plugged a bad egr because it was causing my stalling. i plugged it and the ol 350 tbi runs like a dream. But being theres a code lit for a egr code. what can this code cause. mpg change,timing change,power loss etc. i plan on putting a new one on soon though. but will it harm my 230k tbi. it runs so well for its age.

2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

The computer looks for a change in RPMs when it cycles the EGR and if it does not see it for a number of times it will set a code for an egr malfunction. As far as changing how it operates the engine: I believe it will make no differencein the items you are asking about,. I made a plate to eliminate mine and had no problems and also plugged the exhaust and removed all traces of the EGR.

3. Josh

Josh Member 100 Posts

i have read of people using plates to block them off. so basically it just makes a code then? ive had the egr malfunction code on since i unplugged vac line and capped it off. i just was making sure im not going to carbon up the intake from not having a egr to evacuate properly. ill replace when it gets cooler out. 105 here.

4. LoneWolf'burban

LoneWolf'burban Rockstar 100 Posts

Josh, what's the specs on the truck you did this to?

5. Josh

Josh Member 100 Posts

Well its a stock 350 tbi. Its a 94 z71. Has 4l60e. Engine is 231k now still runs like it was new starts at the bump of a key. Holds a good 45 psi of oil pressure. I run a 170 deg. Thermostat. Aswell. I like my engines cool and I use 10w-30 conventional valvoline always with a wix filter. Engines quiet as a mouse. Egr still plugged. It had a vac leak coming off accel. Not a problem since. I also change oil around the 2500 mile interval. My way of seeing things is change oil before its dirty. Then your engine wont ever GET dirty. I must be doin something right

6. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne Member 1 Year

Main cause of EGR valve bad is buildup of carbon, soot and other deposits and heat, which causes metal like springs to break or lose strength.