1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

plugs and wires for 01

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by etpn13, Mar 17, 2009.

1. etpn13

etpn13 Member

what would be good plugs and wires for an 01 silverado z71 5.3L?
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

MSD wires with stock plugs. Theres really no advantage to a fancy type spark plug as todays stock coils are more powerful than early coils. Now factory spark plug wires are a differant story. Some people say the fancy spark plugs work, but the spark plugs they replaced were most likely worn out and any new spark plug would make a improvement. Just my opinion.
  3. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hre is the NGK part numbers:

NGK PLUGS & WIRE SETS
    PLUG IXIRIDIUM TR5IX NGK7397
    PLUG VPOWER TR5 NGK2238
    WIRE SET NGK51033[1]
    WIRE SET RC-GMX102 NGK51430[2]
    1."Use w/Coils Stamped 12558693 (10.5"" Leads)"
    2."Use w/Coils Stamped 19005218 (9.2"" Leads)"
  4. just did my '00 tahoe 5.3L last weekend. following the advice of my mechanic friend and advice from a gm tech i know, i used the ac-delco irridium plug recommended in the below copy and pasted bulletin from AC Delco

PARTS INFORMATION:

TO: ALL DISTRIBUTORS DATE: DECEMBER 12, 2003 AND JOBBERS FROM: S. D. CHRISTOPHERSEN, PRODUCT SERVICE & TRAINING SUBJECT: INFORMATION ON NEW SPARK PLUGS AND GAPPING MODELS AFFECTED: 2004 Buick Ranier 2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT 2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV 2004 Cadillac CTS-V 1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette 1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro 1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe 2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 2003-2004 Chevrolet Express, TrailBlazer 1999-2004 GMC Sierra 2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 2001-2004 GMC Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali 2002-2004 GMC Sierra Denali 2003-2004 GMC Envoy XL 1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird 2004 Pontiac GTO 2003-2004 Hummer H2 with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V-8 Engine (VINs V, P, T, Z, G, S, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)
    A new spark plug has been released for use in the above vehicles. The new spark plug has an Iridium tip instead of the current Platinum tip. Due to the different tip design, the gap of the spark plug has also changed. The new spark plug, ACDelco Part Number 41-985 (12571164), is gapped to 1.01mm (0.040 inches) when the spark plug is made. The spark plug gap is set during manufacturing and should not be changed to the gap required with the Platinum plug, or damage to the spark plug may result.
    ACDelco service bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer." They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely.
    © Copyright ACDelco/General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

my mechanic friend who's worked on cars for decades actually tried another brand of plug, bosch i believe, and had to pull them out and put these in as he said it ran like crap on anything else other than these, so i followed his advice.

he also recommended NAPA Belden wires (their best ones, "MAX"). i was actually going to use taylor thundervolt wires, but no one had them in stock, and i got stuck buying the NAPAs ($75/set!) as i broke one of the originals removing it. they were a bitch to pull off. there must be a special tool they use to get these bastards off the plugs when they do this service.

Anyway, they are in with the new wires and I can tell you they work real good. i have yet to check to see if i have any improvement in gas milage, but the engine does run a bit smoother.

by the way, the engine had 101k miles on it, and was running well, but i have noticed that the gas milage has slipped a bit in the past 2 months. i was going to do the service anyway just before i noticed that, so what the hell.

the back plug on the passager side is a bitch. make sure you have a good set of universals and extensions!

good luck!
  5. etpn13

etpn13 Member

thanks to u all
  6. chiefbkt

chiefbkt New Member

I have ~75K on my 04 silverado with the 5.3 L. Do you think it is time for plugs and wires?
  7. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

AC Delco, that's all I would ever use in a newer GM vehicle.
  8. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

9. unless the truck is running more poorly than before or you've noticed a drop off in your gas milage, wait until the recommended change interval (100k on plugs). wires don't necessarily have to be replaced according to some gm techs i know. but, guys like us "just like to do this kind of stuff".