1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Plugs and Wires???

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by brtt485, Jul 15, 2009.

1. brtt485

brtt485 Member

So I have read every post the search function could find relating to the selection of plug wires and plugs and everything I read seems to be about earlier models, say 2005 and earlier. I have a 2006 Silverado, 4x4 Ext Cab LT3 with the 5.3L V8. It just turned 70,000 so I thought it might be time for some new plugs and wires.

From the posts I read the consensus on plugs seemed to be either AC Delco or NGK. Does the same hold true for my truck? Do type of plugs came stock in my truck, copper, platinum, iridium?

For wires all summit shows are some Taylor's (cheapest), AC Delco which is obviously the factory option, and then Granatelli's which are by the far the most expensive but say they offer near 0 Ohms resistance. The Taylor's say they offer 500 Ohms resistance which doesnt seem to be much better than stock but they are much cheaper.

What other options have you guys used? What do you suggest?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As far as Wires,there are many to choose from,MSD,Taylor,JBA to name a few.IMO going with one of the ones I have Mention they will be a upgrade over Stock the one's,as far as Plug's I have gone with A/C Delco Iridium Plug's and JBA 8mm Wires,This has been a Very Good setup for me.
  3. brtt485

brtt485 Member

This is exactly my point. I did all this research and decided to go with the AC Delco Iridium plugs and the MSD SuperConductor wires but when I search for my model year none of these appear to be available.

IIRC, your 99 has the 5.3L 323ci engine and I have the 5.3L 325ci engine. Are the plugs and wires on these 2 engines interchangeable?

What am I missing?
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I don't see Why Not?? I just looked up Plugs and Plug wires at Summitt and here is what I found,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-32829/Application/?query=Year|2005|Make|CHEVROLET|Model|SILVERADO+1500&prefilter=1

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-32829/Application/?query=Year|2005|Make|CHEVROLET|Model|SILVERADO+1500&prefilter=1

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-41-985/Application/?query=Year|2005|Make|CHEVROLET|Model|SILVERADO+1500&prefilter=1

The H.P.in your truck has more,but the ci I Believe is still the same 323ci,Maybe someone can help me out on that.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  5. brtt485

brtt485 Member

6. 99'HEARTBEAT

My Bad,I looked up the wrong yr,Sorry.
  7. brtt485

brtt485 Member

You see what I mean though? I almost have zero options.
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

9. brtt485

brtt485 Member

Yeah, the plugs were an easy find luckily! Always plenty of options on those. What I am really after is a good aftermarket set of wires with very low resistance. I havent tested the stock wires but others have said they are around 600 Ohms. The MSD wires are down around 50 Ohms.
  10. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have Bosch +4 plugs, and MSD Ignition performance wires. I noticed a good increase in throttle response, and in how easy it is to start my truck.