po171 and po174

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dshewy14, Dec 30, 2010.

1. dshewy14

dshewy14 Rockstar 100 Posts

Ok so a few weeks ago the cel came on and it was 171,174, and another which was the maf. so i changed the maf and they went away for about a week then came back on. ive sprayed carb cleaner and found nothing. The fuel filter was also changed about 2 months ago. so if someone can point me in a direction that would be great. Also if it really cold outside the truck idels really ruff until it gets warm.

2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

could be your cat system ?!!!

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I would Inspect all Vacuum and PVC hoses .....as there could be a Vacuum leak downstream of the MAF Sensor and lasted Check the Fuel Pressure.....Also you should use......CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner Only.....went cleaner the MAF Sensor.

CRC 05110 Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz. [​IMG]

4. dshewy14

Thanks guys Ima look at it tommorrow n c what I can figure out. And happy new years

5. ghotachevy

ghotachevy Rockstar ROTM Winner

U can set a lean code on these motors by running w oil cap off. Need to check all stupid possibilities.there're also newer intake gaskets avail old orange ones have service bull.on them new ones should have green rubber

6. dshewy14

well i got another new maf today and changed it, the pcv valve, and put new plugs and wires on. So far the cel has not come back on but after looking at the plugs you can tell its really running lean.

7. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Getting lean codes for both banks, and the spark plugs are confirming the lean condition. Next thing I'd probably do would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and make sure the fuel system is generating enough pressure.