1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PO449 evap vent valve solenoid

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bob106, Aug 20, 2012.

1. bob106

bob106 New Member

Hey! great forum, just join about a week ago. Had a cel (check engine light) on my 2008 Silverado 1500 5.3l and had it checked out and turned out to be the evap vent valve solenoid. After gathering some info on the forum I was able to fix the problem for less than $30 vs the dealers $150 or more. The PO449 code that I had was a solenoid problem. I bought the solenoid from advance auto for $25 and change. The part #911-021 made by Dorman is an exact fit even thought they may say it's not. Definitely cheaper than going to the stealership which I was very disappointed with as far as warranty info and support. This is my first Chevy truck in 40 years and I like the truck after being a Ford man before. The install was pretty simple even with cutting 2 hoses which I realized later should've been just 1, just the cannister hose which is hooked to the solenoid and needs to be spliced back together with 2 hose clamps and a piece of hose. The solenoid is held in place by a tab that can be lifted up and the solenoid will twist right out along with the 2 pin plug and the push clip that hooks the hose to the cannister which is all easy to remove. Hope this info is helpful........bob106
  2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had the same code and problem on my 2002 Silverado with the 5.3 and I went to the dealer and they said I needed the whole vent set up and I told them to just sell me the solenoid so they did and it was only $20.00 and that fixed my problem also. Sometimes you just have to be firm with the dealership and tell them what you need because they want to sell all they can. Glad you got yours fixed, those warning lights are a pain. LOL!!!!!!!! Welcome to the club man, :glasses:
    1 person likes this.
  3. skimm99

skimm99 New Member

Hi, I have the same error message coming up on my '08 Silverado 1500 5.3L. Where is the solenoid located? I've heard it is by the starter, but haven't had any success yet, as I'm not sure exactly what it looks like yet.
    Thanks, Steve
    skimmet99@gmail.com
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It's by the Gas tank and spare tire I did a whole write up on it with pics..Easy to fix in under an hour
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

you are correct there is a solenoid at the starter. that is the starter solenoid. your vehicle has other solenoids . my guess is with the gas cap code you MAY need the evap solenoid which will be very close to the evap charcoal canister which on these trucks is at the gas tank forward portion. with the correct part no vent lines need be cut. the hoses are quick disconnect fittings.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

7. JohnK

JohnK New Member

Had to tackle the dreaded P0449 issue on my 2006 Silverado. I had replaced the Evap Vent Valve assy (canister and solenoid) about a year ago, it fixed the problem. Well, it recently came back on, tried replacing the Evap Vent Valve again, check engine light was still on. I found out that there is also a Purge Valve solenoid that will also send error code P0449. Picked up the Duralast purge valve for $35 from Autozone and it cleared the error. FYI - the purge valve is located under the engine cover in the front.