1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Polished factory wheels

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by coldashell?, Mar 13, 2011.

1. coldashell?

coldashell? New Member

So the wheels on my 1996 burb are so-so. They are factory and starting to suffer from the clear coat peel, I'm sure your all familiar.
    I've seen much worse but its starting to bug me.
    Wondering if anyone has stripped and polished their birth wheels....pics?
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I have a set of old school aluminum wheels (A-56 aluminum alloy) that I've polished out & haven't decided whether to use the clearcoat or not because of the peeling issues & the sandblasting effect from the sand they use on the roads here in the winter time. One option that was suggested here was to polish them out & use Zoop Seal. It sounds a little tricky to apply it "properly" according to the directions on their web site, but sounds a lot better than sanding the clearcoat off every couple years & redoing it. If you could just feather out the peeled areas & the sand pits & didn't have to take all the clearcoat off to make it look good, then it wouldn't be so bad, but if you have to sand/polish all the clearcoat off, then that's will be a total PITA.
  3. coldashell?

coldashell? New Member

Being able to feather it would be nice. I did a set of IROC wheels at the shop I work at. It was time consuming but the end result was really nice. The customer opted for clear, its a summer only car so the salt sand isn't a issue. He did ask about zoop, and everbrite I think. Like I said he settled with a few coats of clear.I honestly was hopeing he went the zoop route because I wanted to try it.
    I'm also considering painting them but I really like the way these wheels look, when they are nice anyway.
    One thing I'm stuck on, the center cap. Assuming its plastic, coated with what? A look a like aluminum?
    It would really suck to go threw the trouble of sanding, polishing, and clearing only to have a unmatched center...or worse wet a big circle of color matched yuck in the middle of nice wheels.
    These are the wheels I'm talking about in particular.
    View attachment 25656
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I can't see your wheels. When I click on your link, GMTC gives me a V bulletin message "invalid attachment specified"
    I have no idea what your center caps are made out of, but if they are plastic & scratched you can buy replacements online. I ordered a set of metal push through chrome caps for mine.
    Take a scotch brite pad (don't use a rough one, there are 5 or 6 different degrees of coarseness) or some 400-600 wet or dry sandpaper & try feathering the edges of the clearcoat on your wheels. See if you are able to smooth it out & then just spot that area with some clearcoat & see if it blends in. If you can get by without taking all the clearcoat off, then it would also suffice later on down the road when the sand & salt starts attacking it. Sanding & spotting a little every year isn't so bad, but taking all the clearcoat off every year to re-do them is just too labor intensive for me.
  5. coldashell?

coldashell? New Member

ALY05015U.jpg
    Here we go..this is them. I may pick up a used one and start with that.