Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Poll: Do you use your Cruise Control?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Jan 15, 2013.

?

How often do you use cruise control?

1. Whenever possible, Be it freeway or surface streets

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Often, whenever on the freeway.

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Occasionally, when on long trips.

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Never

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I was having a discussion with some one the other day (while riding with them) and they don't use their F'ing cruise control while on the highway.

IMO using your cruise control is one of the best ways to get good fuel economy. Studies have shown that you can get up to a 14% improvement by using your cruise control. Moral of the story, if you have it, USE IT.

Note that if you are driving in mountainous country CC is not a good idea.

With even the cheapest Silverado (the W/T) coming standard with CC, there's no reason not to use it.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Anytime I'm not in stop-and-go, I use cruise control. Even if it's a 45-mph road. It helps to keep the vehicle going at a steady speed, you save on fuel and if you want to turn it off just hit the brakes.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I use it all the time. We have many 55mph country roads near me. I set the cruise at 60mph and good to go. Same on the freeway. I am lazy, with the cruise set that is one less thing I have to think about
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  4. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I use it all the time in our 4.8 Crew Cab
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I never use it, I don't like it, never have. It may be a wonderful "gadget" on the parries; but I do not like the way it slows down as it approaches a hill, then over accelerates to maintain speed.

It may give better fuel mileage for some users, but I don't believe it will produce better results than I can achieve (my opinion only).

I like almost every convince on a modern vehicle, but I am not a fan of cruise control, or auto wipers.
  6. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Yup use it whenever I can. Always trying to be aware of changing conditions that may require me shutting it off.
  7. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

You seem to be in the extreme minority.

Cruise control will give better consistency than a human right foot.

It's a shame to pay for features and never use them.
  8. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I use it often but I have also achieved better mpg on the highway without it. I take about a 350 mile trip to pick up some family and return them. When I got there I used cruise control the entire way back achieving about 17mpg in my 03 Escalade. When we took them back I left the cruise off and consientiously used my foot and watching the rpms to obtain the best mpg (ex. slowly speeding up to prepare for hills and coasting more down hills) and I had achieved 19 mpg on the way home. Now maybe I just had a good tailwind pushing me down the road that day but its highly doubtfull.
  9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

My best MPG with CC was 21 best with my foot is 16.... big difference. My cruise control is great it actually down shifts the truck on grades and know keeps the truck at speed very well even tho its mid 90's tech.
  10. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Haha, yep, probably I am.

I may try a test this spring to see if there is any difference, it could be an interesting experiment.