1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Poll: How many members of the forum use quick lube places?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by stchman, Sep 18, 2013.

?

Do you use quick lubes?

Poll closed Nov 17, 2013.
  1. Never

70.0%
  2. Always

10.0%
  3. Sometimes

20.0%
  1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I was wanting to know how many member os GMTC use quick lubes for oil changes, transmission fluid changes, differential fluid, etc.

Me personally I worked in teh quick lube industry for ~8 years and I can say that MOST of the lube techs that work there are ROTTEN. They don't change drain lug gaskets, they miss grease fittings, they leave differential plugs out, strip stuff, etc.

I'm not just saying this, but I actually was one of the few that knew how to do their job, most don't care.

I will never take my vehicle to a quick lube. I will change my own fluids as long as I am physically capable and when I am no longer capable, I will take it to an experienced mechanic.

About the only thing I have to take my vehicle to a mechanic for is to do a coolant system flush.
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Voted: sometimes. The reason I voted that way is, for the most part, I change my own oil - that is pretty easy. However, throughout the life of my truck, the few times I have lived in an apartment, as I am currently, I have taken it to quick lube places. I haven't ever had any problems but I do agree with you that it seems the people that work at those places don't care about their work all that much. The last oil change I did on my truck, about 2 months ago, was at a quick lube and the last couple of times I got under my truck, I see oil collecting (not quite dripping) around my oil drain plug which I have NEVER seen in all the years of owning my truck. Something to think about.
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

The one time I have had it changed was at a Valvoline place that my grandfather in law recommended. Now since I am living in an apartment, my next oil change will mostly likely be by a quick lube place.

That one time though, I was watching over them guys like a hawk. They asked if I could go sit in the "waiting area" because I was on top of them. I said no I'm making sure you guys don't f it up.

This reminds me though, I need to change my oil lol
  4. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

I didn't use them anyway, but I was pulling out of a Mcdonalds across from a quick lube place, and i could see the oil coming out of the car they had inside. The guy put the plug back in when there was still a pretty good stream of oil coming out of the car. That pretty much reinforced why I change my own
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

I've never used a quick lube the only people besides me to change my oil are the highly experienced and well trusted mechanics at my local shop.
  6. stchman

The local Chevrolet dealers by me run specials in the paper all the time for oil changes for $35.
  7. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

i dont see why anyone WOULDNT change their own fluids, its just the thing to do if you love your truck and want it to last forever....
  8. stchman

There are a lot of people that:

1. Don't have the knowledge/ability.
    2. Don't have the time (family/job).
    3. Don't have the motivation to do so.

There are places that do these things for you, I just think that quick-lubes are not the best choice as the people they hire are usually teenagers that don't give a crap.

The dealership and other professional garages do these things and usually employ more skilled personnel.
  9. savagetman

savagetman Member

as i live in an apartment, and im still on warranty, i take it to our local gm quick lube lane at the dealer ship, and watch them like a hawk, because im extremely fussy, and would do it my self, in there bay if they would let me lol. I go so far as to go in the pit and check out my undercarriage of my truck as they oil change is getting done. i still change the oil every 5000ks even tho my trucks information center says iv still got 40% or more oil life left. any one else do this?
  10. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

well, yeah i guess you got me there...
    but then again number 3 is just worst case scenario i would hope LOL