Poor performance upon starting

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by lakelanierboater, Nov 14, 2010.

1. lakelanierboater

lakelanierboater New Member

my girlfriend has a 2002 Yukon. Occasionally will crank but then sputter for a bit until it warms up. Dealers can't seem to always duplicate so cannot diagnose. Any ideas???

2. 00chevy53

00chevy53 Rockstar 100 Posts

clean your throttle body and clean your throttle positioning sensor... if you dont know where the sensor is its on the right side of the throttle body as you look when you open the hood

3. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

guy at my work had something similar happen to his vehicle----had something to do with heat sensor until engine gets to temperature ???---not sure if you could mention this to your mechanic or not. Also, could be worn out igntion coil ----good luck

4. lakelanierboater

lakelanierboater New Member

thank you sir. will do that

5. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

x2 on what 00chevy53 said. Cleaning the MAF sensor and Throttle body will do wonders. My truck did the same thing and would actually stall as I was coming to a stop, bought some cleaner for both parts and my truck hasn't done it since. My truck had over 80K miles at that time and the throttle body was caked with crud.

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Be sure to clean the Idle Air Control control valve passage on the TB as well.

7. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Yes, start with the cleaning as recommended by the previous users. If that does not fix the problem, then it very well could be the engine coolant temperature sensor for the computer, which are usually fairly cheap to replace as well.

edit: and a scanner should easily tell you if temp sensor is working properly.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010