1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Popping noise in rear when parked

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by reddog2011, Apr 5, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. reddog2011

reddog2011 New Member

Hi all.. I just joined and this is my first issue so here goes. I just purchased a 2000 Yukon ( 5.3 motor) . After parking the vehicle after being driven I hear a single "pop" or "bang" coming from the rear.This noise happens minutes after shutting off the truck. It sound sort of like like a pop bottle expanding. I have had the truck for a week and have heard it at least once a day.
    Any ideas?

2. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Can you tell where its coming from a little more specifically? I get metallic pings/pops from the exhaust system when its cooling off. My last couple GM trucks did this so I guess I'm used to it!

3. reddog2011

reddog2011 New Member

Definitely from the rear. It's a sound like you would get if you hit the gas tank with a hammer. I guess exhaust noise is possible although I have never experienced this on any other vehicle.

4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

my truck does it to i, believe it is caused by the exhaust heat shields cooling off and heating up

5. reddog2011

reddog2011 New Member

Thanks guys. I will go with the exhaust explanation.

6. Vinniety

Vinniety New Member

Gas tank!

I did research on this becasue i had the same pop noise from my 2002 tahoe. I have read a lot of articles blamming the gas tank vent pipe being clogged. The tank has a vent pipe and if that gets clogged and doesnt let the pressure escape it make that noise. One tech guy from a local chevy dealer said for the time being if no need to fill up the tank with gas all the way then dont. Stick with half full. I have been doing that for months and no more bang, so i guess they were correct on what it was. I will make sure where ever the vent pipe is isnt clogged or crushed next time i have it on a lift.

7. reddog2011

reddog2011 New Member

Thanks a lot Vin.That does make sense. I will look into that next time I am under the truck.