Popping noise in rear when parked

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by reddog2011, Apr 5, 2010.

1. reddog2011

reddog2011 New Member

Hi all.. I just joined and this is my first issue so here goes. I just purchased a 2000 Yukon ( 5.3 motor) . After parking the vehicle after being driven I hear a single "pop" or "bang" coming from the rear.This noise happens minutes after shutting off the truck. It sound sort of like like a pop bottle expanding. I have had the truck for a week and have heard it at least once a day.
    Any ideas?
  2. Greg84

Greg84 New Member

Can you tell where its coming from a little more specifically? I get metallic pings/pops from the exhaust system when its cooling off. My last couple GM trucks did this so I guess I'm used to it!
  3. reddog2011

reddog2011 New Member

Definitely from the rear. It's a sound like you would get if you hit the gas tank with a hammer. I guess exhaust noise is possible although I have never experienced this on any other vehicle.
  4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member

my truck does it to i, believe it is caused by the exhaust heat shields cooling off and heating up
  5. reddog2011

reddog2011 New Member

Thanks guys. I will go with the exhaust explanation.
  6. Vinniety

Vinniety New Member

Gas tank!

I did research on this becasue i had the same pop noise from my 2002 tahoe. I have read a lot of articles blamming the gas tank vent pipe being clogged. The tank has a vent pipe and if that gets clogged and doesnt let the pressure escape it make that noise. One tech guy from a local chevy dealer said for the time being if no need to fill up the tank with gas all the way then dont. Stick with half full. I have been doing that for months and no more bang, so i guess they were correct on what it was. I will make sure where ever the vent pipe is isnt clogged or crushed next time i have it on a lift.
  7. reddog2011

reddog2011 New Member

Thanks a lot Vin.That does make sense. I will look into that next time I am under the truck.