1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Popping sound coming from front driver side

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by DarkCherry, Sep 20, 2010.

1. DarkCherry

DarkCherry Rockstar

Ok have a 08 Silverado Crew 5.3L 4x4. Have had this sound for a while, took it in to dealership they replaced engine mounts and something else but the sound is back. Clearly whatever they did didnt resolve the problem.

WHen I am backing out of driverway in mornings the left front pops when turn the wheel. Does it no matter which direction i am going. Also pops when driving forwards and am turning almost full lock. What could this be? I would like to get this pinpointed before i go to dealer to get this fixed. Last time they kept truck for 3 days (gave me a loaner) yet still has a problem.
  2. GMGUY

GMGUY Member

It's possibly the outer CV axle joint.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Mabey a worn balljoint???
  4. DarkCherry

DarkCherry Rockstar

Well took the truck to Discount tire today to get balanced and rotated and fix a screw in the tire. Tires are the original Goodyear Eagle LSII's on the 20's. Have approximately 21K miles on them (truck is just about a year and a couple months old, left over new 08 on lot when I bought it). The front tires are wearing on the inside edge quite a bit, enough to where I will need new tires in 6K miles or so. Any chance this is related to the popping sound I am hearing? I had an alignment probably around 6000K miles ago so the alignment should still be good. The rear tires are wearing normally.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you have a bad balljoint this could be the popping sound and the tire wear. Could have been a bad balljoint when manufactured.
  6. DarkCherry

DarkCherry Rockstar

ANy way of knowing without going to the dealership first?
  7. ganzgut

ganzgut New Member

I have a 2007 Silverado LT 2500HD with 139,000 miles (highway). Same kind of popping noise under similar circumstances. Took a ride with dealer tech., He looked at the GM tech files and found references the front body mount insulators. I have not changed them yet, so I cannot confirm yet, but I think he may be correct.
  8. DarkCherry

DarkCherry Rockstar

I think that might be what they changed out last time. I am starting to think it probably is the ball joint, I need the 4 wheel drive this weekend, but I will probably take it to dealership next week sometime and get them to ride in the truck with me.