Popping sound coming from front driver side

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by DarkCherry, Sep 20, 2010.

1. DarkCherry

DarkCherry Rockstar

Ok have a 08 Silverado Crew 5.3L 4x4. Have had this sound for a while, took it in to dealership they replaced engine mounts and something else but the sound is back. Clearly whatever they did didnt resolve the problem.

WHen I am backing out of driverway in mornings the left front pops when turn the wheel. Does it no matter which direction i am going. Also pops when driving forwards and am turning almost full lock. What could this be? I would like to get this pinpointed before i go to dealer to get this fixed. Last time they kept truck for 3 days (gave me a loaner) yet still has a problem.

2. GMGUY

GMGUY Member

It's possibly the outer CV axle joint.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Mabey a worn balljoint???

4. DarkCherry

DarkCherry Rockstar

Well took the truck to Discount tire today to get balanced and rotated and fix a screw in the tire. Tires are the original Goodyear Eagle LSII's on the 20's. Have approximately 21K miles on them (truck is just about a year and a couple months old, left over new 08 on lot when I bought it). The front tires are wearing on the inside edge quite a bit, enough to where I will need new tires in 6K miles or so. Any chance this is related to the popping sound I am hearing? I had an alignment probably around 6000K miles ago so the alignment should still be good. The rear tires are wearing normally.

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you have a bad balljoint this could be the popping sound and the tire wear. Could have been a bad balljoint when manufactured.

6. DarkCherry

DarkCherry Rockstar

ANy way of knowing without going to the dealership first?

7. ganzgut

ganzgut New Member

I have a 2007 Silverado LT 2500HD with 139,000 miles (highway). Same kind of popping noise under similar circumstances. Took a ride with dealer tech., He looked at the GM tech files and found references the front body mount insulators. I have not changed them yet, so I cannot confirm yet, but I think he may be correct.

8. DarkCherry

DarkCherry Rockstar

I think that might be what they changed out last time. I am starting to think it probably is the ball joint, I need the 4 wheel drive this weekend, but I will probably take it to dealership next week sometime and get them to ride in the truck with me.