1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Popping the amber reflectors out of a 99-06 Sierra

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by BrownPats420, Mar 5, 2012.

1. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member 100 Posts

Anybody ever have cop related issues on your headlights after removing? I'm planning on doing this tomorrow and figured I'd get a little feedback on it. Massachusetts cops are a little crazy with the DOT approved laws.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've not done it, yet, but will be going to projectors with halos this weekend ... and they have no amber reflectors in them. If I don't like the projectors I plan to do some custom LED work to my OEMs, and while in there I will remove the amber reflector, as well.

If you don't mind I'd -love- some photos of your processes/procedures as well as any tips you can provide (i.e. tough points that you develop a trick/mechanism to get past, etc.).

As for the cops ... having read the statues here in NC it seems that reflectors are mentioned as required only on certain vehicles. Trucks seem to be categorized with busses ("whatever the size" ... per the statute). When present, front reflectors should be amber while rear should be red. Rear appear to be required while front do not appear to be required. Thus, my read on this (and I am NOT a lawyer) is that in NC I can pull my front reflectors and not worry. If anyone has more accurate information for NC (or has corrections to offer), please chime in.
  3. MTM

MTM New Member 100 Posts

I have my side reflectors smoked and have never had any problem
  4. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Member 100 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. I had thought the same thing at first, but now it doesn't even cross my mind. I also swapped my yellow blinker bulbs for clear ones and haven't been bothered about it either. I did mine and haven't been bothered. I passed inspection in December without any questions or worries from the guy. Good luck getting them open! It's a pain, but well worth it. If you have any questions let me know.
    100_1653.jpg 100_1654.jpg

Oh and don't touch the chrome parts inside the light with your fingers, it will turn black and get smudged away.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member 100 Posts

I'm gonna go ahead and try it out, all the newer vehicles have little amber in the headlights. That came out great noodles, really like the look! And surreal I caught this on google, http://home.comcast.net/~00gmc/free_clear.htm
  6. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

same story here
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

8. TnT817

TnT817 New Member

You could get the amber bulbs that have the chrome over them so your turn signals are still amber, but you don't have the "egg yolk" effect in your light. I've done this with several cars and trucks that I've had.