1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Portable MP3 Player Setup Assistance

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by 4wd-burban, Jul 2, 2007.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 4wd-burban

4wd-burban New Member

Maybe some of the stereo studs/studettes can help out.

As our fleet of Suburbans build (some have stereos and some don't) I'd like to convert all of them to just have a plate where the stereo was that has a single jack to accept a portable MP3 player input and maybe some fade/balance control. It would seem they don't put out enough gusto to kick up the volume to the speakers but surely someone out there has an in-dash solution. Again I don't want/need a stereo I'm just looking for something simple and fairly inexpensive to put in my vehicles. That way no matter which vehicle I drive I can just do like the Glade commercials, "Plug it in, plug it in!"

Just velcro my mp3 player on the plate with the jack and I'd be good to go would be the idea.

Thank you for your time.
  2. Flatman

Flatman New Member 100 Posts

That's actually a really good idea. I'll keep my eye out for something like this...
  3. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro New Member 100 Posts

well what you could do is buy some "banana plugs" ( ithink thats what theyre called) basically a make your own RCA plug connector, hook your right spekers up to just two plugs +/- and same with your lefts. then purchase a splitter that goes from stereo jack (mp3 player) to right and left rca jacks, and plug them in. If im not misssing everythign should work.
  4. 4wd-burban

4wd-burban New Member

Flatman, nice truck.

Rumpamuro, the thing I was thinking though is the MP3 wouldn't put out enough power for the speakers, right? I'm not much of a speaker guy and could just buy an amp myself but I was hoping someone already knew of a solution. It seems with stereo theft and the mass deployment of MP3s that someone would have something out there like that.
  5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts