1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

porting and polishing tbi and intake

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by newcheylover, Jul 7, 2013.

1. newcheylover

newcheylover Member 1 Year

I am wanting to add more power to my 01 1500 4x4 and wanted to know if porting and polishing the tbi and intake would be a good idea. I already have a cai and I’ll be putting on shorty headers and a cat back exhaust as well as a custom tune from Diablo. Later on Im wanting to put in a comp cam but I don’t have the cash now. Anyways…. Is porting and polishing a good or bad idea?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Porting and polishing when done correctly is a great idea, doesnt cost much, time and new gaskets.
    Tips I learned long ago:
    use die makers blueing or ink to find excess material.
    be very careful removing material, its easier to remove more later than try to add material.
    be very careful around water jackets and oil passages, you dont want to remove so much that you cause a wall to rupture.
    Make sure when removing material around or near gasket surfaces to ensure you leave smooth flat sealable surface and ensure you trim gaskets accordingly.
  3. newcheylover

do the plastic intakes on the ls motors have oil passages?
  4. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Not that I believe. When I was cleaning mine I did not see any, but I may be wrong.
  5. newcheylover

The throttle body looks simple enough. Does anyone know how to do the intake?
  6. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I heard a lot of people stay away from it because of the fact that it is plastic. There was a guy online that did it to Trailblazer SS intakes but warned of them cracking
  7. newcheylover

O I think ill just stick to the throttle body
  8. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

you can port the TB fairly easy i did mine, as far as the intake id just buy a Tbss intake. for cheap mods you can also do the cooliant bypass, and even elc fans. i made me a set for $125