Posi anyone?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by tlperry68, Dec 28, 2008.

1. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

So I took the family to the snow today and hit some ice off the road. I do not like the lack of traction that the rear end puts out. All 4 tires were spinning at times but in low RPM I could not get good hookup at the rear end. I'm going to swap out the diff. Any opinions on a good posi system? And should I do both front and rear diffs?

2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Aurburn limit slip diffs are pretty good and won't break the bank. As far as the front leave it an open diff unless your getting into 4 wheeling then I would put an air locker in the front.

3. tlperry68

Thanks I'll look into that one.

4. jlsparky7

jlsparky7 Rockstar

Get some better tires?

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When my G80 blew up, I went all out and put an ARB in my rear diff -- solid lock when I want it, regular open diff when I'm on the road. Personally I prefer a locker to a limited slip. Limited slips work ok as long as both wheels have some traction. In a situation where one wheel has no traction at all (think one wheel in the air or on ice and the other wheel on dry pavement), and the LS doesn't always put enough torque to the wheel with traction to get/keep you moving.

6. Heineken

Heineken Rockstar

I recommend a good locker like found on the HD's

7. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree with the locker in the rear. I'm hesitant to put a locker in the front with the IFS. I've seen/heard/read a lot of horror stories of parts (mostly shafts) breaking when the front is locked on IFS.

8. tlperry68

What kind of ARB did you get. Do you need the air compressor and everything?

9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

you will need some source of high-pressure air (somewhere around 70psi if I'm not mistake). You can get it from ARB's compressor, your own onboard compressor, or even a compressed air/co2 bottle.

10. tlperry68

Not a bad idea. I will have to put an air lift kit on once I lift this thing anyways. Has anyone used the Eaton Posi, not the Elocker / G80?