Positive Ground??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by stephan, Dec 19, 2010.

1. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

My dad said he remembered sometime in the '70s or maybe the '60s lol, Ford or Chrysler had a positive ground electrical system on their cars/trucks. Does anybody remember this? Why would they do this? Why would they want the engine, chassis, body, suspension & virtually every piece of metal in the entire car "hot" ?
    Was there any benefit to this, & wouldn't this totally screw up the radios?

2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

WOW, i never heard of it ..but i am young(er)..lol

maybe to keep them damn thiefs away..??? INTERESTING THO !!

3. stephan

It wouldn't keep the thieves away cuz even if it was wet everywhere & you were well grounded to earth, you would still only get battery voltage/amprege if you touched the car, & you wouldn't feel it. Where it gets dicey is if there was a water trail from the cowel running down to the ignition coil & somebody were to walk up & touch the car when it was running. I can see where that would cause some real problems lol...

I wonder if this positive ground b.s. is why the Ford Pintos used to catch fire & blow up??

4. DAREDEVIL

That gives me an idea for some new theft systems..lol

5. stephan

ha ha I know what you're thinking & it won't work unless the engines running :)

6. DAREDEVIL

I may come up with something..lol converter 110 and such.." ohh Officer ..sir.. no i did not !!!! i dont know why this doushbag is dead next to my truck...LOL:rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. stephan

lol, if anything like that ever happend, you'd better drag him in your house & fill him with bullet holes, cuz killin him to protect personal property (your car) is illegal

8. DAREDEVIL

I know..lol, just kidding..i mean ofcoarse i would drag him home...hahaha

9. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes positive ground systems used to exist (it seems like the old VW beetles were positive ground). You might put "positive ground electrical" or similar into a search engine and you should get some useful information. My impression is that it was done because in batteries, the outside case is often positive, which made it easier to have the case attached to the frame. It wasn't dangerous in any way, though it does appear that a positive ground system had a little more tendency to corrode the metal.

10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I thought Positive Ground was more of an optimistic state of mind, which I am sure your dad needed to have with you and your squirrel running around.