1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Possible alarm issue?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Billy D, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Billy D

Billy D Member

I am not sure if I read this here in the past or not, but maybe someone knows the cure? Anyway, 98 Suburban, was my father's who bought it new and I bought it from him a few years ago. It came with a standard door lock/unlock system, don't remember if it has alarm or not. He went straight from the dealer to get an aftermarket Viper alarm installed with remote start, etc. After a few years, he kept losing or breaking the remote key chains and from what I understand, the truck would not start at times; so he goes to a "hack" mechanic he used at the time to remove the alarm system. When I said hack, I mean it. They guy was ripping him off and even disconnected the aftermarket driving lights he has when removing the alarm, but that was just some of the idiot moves this guy did to his truck. So fast forward to recent years. I have the truck and at times (usually colder or damper weather causes it and also parking on an incline), when you go to start it after it has sat for a while, you get it started but it shuts right down. It will continue to do that over and over as long as you keep trying, starts for a second then shuts. If you wait 15 minutes or something around that, it starts and up and you are good to go. This leads me to believe it is factory alarm related or something like that?

Does anyone know anything about this and how to fix or bypass this? It can be a real pain when the weather is cold and you have a child and have to sit 15 minutes to get it started. Read somewhere it was a theft safety feature which cuts the fuel pump off to avoid theft, but nobody had an answer on how to fix it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It sounds to me like a fuel delivery problem. It appears to need two, or three starts before the fuel has filled the lines and tb.

Maybe a fuel pump problem.
  3. Billy D

Billy D Member

No, the fuel is not the issue. It will start normal the majority of the time, then it acts like an alarm that was supposed to be removed is cutting it off. Like I said, if I sit and wait without trying to start it again, in approx 15 minutes without trying it starts right up. Acts like an alarm needs to time out and reset. If i keep trying over and over without the long wait, it will not start, I would be there for days. Once you try it and it does not start, if you try again, it acts like the timer is reset and makes you wait the long delay from that time now.

I am all but certain it is something factory alarm related, but don't have a clue on how to fix it.