possible front diff swap

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by rtog, Feb 25, 2010.

1. rtog

rtog New Member

hi all. New member here. I'm working on a 4x4 rod project that involves dropping a 41 caddie body onto a 1990 suburban k1500. This little effort pushes my familiarity with swap options to its rather modest limit. Here's my current delemma. I can reduce the rear track sufficiently to fit under the caddie fender skirts by building wheels with about 2 inches of positive offset - no problem. But the front is a bit trickier because stock diameter wheels hit the tie rod ends with anything more than about 4 inches of backspacing. Did GM make a corporate 10 bolt front axle that has less track by say about 4 inches than the 10 bolt suburban? Any other ideas about swaps that would serve to reduce the front track by about 4 to 6 inches? Will need to keep the same brake capacity because the final product will be about as heavy as a suburban (+- 1000 pounds). Rex

2. GMPartsClub

GMPartsClub Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts GMTC Sponsor

3. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site, sorry I can't help.

4. pmartin816

pmartin816 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site. I dont know the answer to your question but sounds like a pretty interesting project you have going there.

5. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

6. rtog

rtog New Member

thanks for welcoming me in. I was afraid my problem wasn't going to be a no brainer. I'll bet there's somone out there who has an idea - just got to find her (ha ha).

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Late 60's/70's GM 4x4's had a narrower track, but the problem even with a narrower axle will be those front springs and the width between them.
    Have you thought about moving the front springs inboard of the frame rails?
    Or find a set of 41 fenders and widen out all 4 fenders?

8. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

:sign0016:

9. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses:

10. rtog

rtog New Member

narrowing the front track

I'll check into the earlier 4x4's and see if that might work. There're a couple inches outside the springs before the yoke but any narrower than that would require spring adjustments, true.

I like the idea of widening the fenders and may continue to play with that concept. I'm not a great body man but clearly wider fenders would be cool. Thanks, and I'll follow up later. Rex