Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Possible new truck? Can u help?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Barnettamb, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Barnettamb

Barnettamb Member

truck.jpg
    Hey yal, my friends grandfather has this old truck he hasnt used in years... he said that he would give it to him if he wanted it. can anyone tell me what model year this is and any other helpful info about it. thanks

2. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

Looks like early 1980's, pull the VIN number and google it, should be able to get all the info

3. lindsaynuts8

lindsaynuts8 Member

looks like a late 70's or early 80's silverado custom.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Stacked headlights means it an 84 through 87, wheels and shortbed tell me it's a 1/2 ton.
    Engine combination could be either 4.3/700R4, 305/700R4, 350/700R4, or maybe a 7.4 but that would be rare in a half ton.
    Probably has a 10 bolt r/r axle.
    Looks like a nice straight body without rust, known corrosion areas on this body style are above the wheels wells frt/rr and back bottom corners of the cab.
    Basic body style for this truck is from 1973 to 1987 model yrs, almost any parts from those years can fit or be made to fit.
    This model Chevy is called "Square body".
    Most popular body style to date that GM has ever manufactured.
    Shares 90% of it's parts with the GMC truck of the same model yrs. Most of the different parts are in the interior with the GMC truck having a slightly upgraded interior of the two.
    15x7" ralley wheels were a $258 option and the two tone paint was a $372 option, white wall tires like it has on now were included with the ralley wheel option.
    Looks like someone stopped using the under the bed tire carrier, the bed rails are an aftermarket item, and the exhaust (whats visible) looks to be factory.

If it doesnt run and is just a rolling body from what I see in the picture it would be worth around $500, if it runs, depending on how well and how it shifts the price could jump as high as $2000.
    This year truck doesnt have a computer but will have electronic ignition or electronic spark control, all parts for this truck are readly available on line or at most auto parts stores.

I've bought and sold probably 70 or more trucks like this one, though I cant see the passenger side it looks very straight which is getting hard to come by, even if it has a bad engine or trans it looks to be in good enough shape to drop a new driveline in and either build or resell.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

Now that's what I call information!

6. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

All I can say is WOW [MENTION=14295]tbplus10[/MENTION] all from the pic

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What can I say I'm a fan of square body GM's, like I said I've bought/sold over 70 of them in the last 20 years and dont think I havent wanted to keep almost every one of them.
    Possibly my most favorite vehicle since the possibilities for builds on them is endless, the other only vehicle that has as many or more aftermarket parts available is the Jeep CJ and Wrangler.
    Their like Lego's for grown up kids.

8. JohnnyZJ

JohnnyZJ New Member

that is the greatest analogy i've heard. lol. you can swap so many parts from different ones too its like matching lego's from different sets!

9. Barnettamb

Barnettamb Member

Thank you very much for the information it was very helpful. ill let you know how it goes.

10. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm not sure why but I have always been a fan of the square bodies from the '80s. If it runs, OP, that is a nice find! Congrats to your friend.