Possible U-joint Problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by MTM, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Josh

Josh Member 100 Posts

do what i do. grease every zert fitting on the truck that you can find. jack up the truck in back and spin tires in neutral and then start truck on jackstands and put it in drive. let the tires spin. you should find that squeek that way. its how i found a grinding noise on my stang.

2. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I have a full car lift that i put it on and the it has jacks that pick the truck of the lift and i had a friend put it in gear and i sat under it while i was in gear didn't hear anything put it on the ground and does it again. Guessing it has to do with the weight and friction of the road that makes it squeak.

3. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hi, MTM:

Boy, lots of good information in this thread. I think everyone on the forum should read this thread. I like particularly what tbplus10 said in the first post. Kinda my way of thinking, but I have probably been around a little longer than most members here, and in the "old days" we may have used slightly different methods. But I also change out all the joints in the shaft at once for cost of labor reasons. The joints don't cost that much. When in doubt, I replace.

I tell you, guy, you said that the noise does not change with speed. That is a bit baffling to me. Shaft speed changes, so should at least the pitch of the squeal or squeak. I don't doubt your ear, but are you sure this is coming from the drive shaft and not something else? If you feel it is one of the joints, you might save some more time consumed on this by just replacing one or both joints, see if the noise goes away, if you can't find another problem.

How many miles on those joints?

4. MTM

No i'm no positive that's why a named the thread possible u-joint problems. I wish i could pin point it better but just cant seem to locate it.I've had the truck since it's had 88,000 miles and it has 111,000 no and i never replaced them

5. The Heater

It's hard to get real help for this type of problem via the internet. None of us can get in and ride in your truck, hear the issue. If you do get this resolved and find out for sure what it is, please post an update here for us. Tough problem, for sure.

6. MTM

Will do i'll keep after it

7. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

as others have said, u-joints are cheap, I'd suggest taking driveshaft to a good driveshaft shop, change u-joints and balance. should be able to get it all done for 150 or less, and worth it to make sure that's not the problem.

8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

might be a balance issue in the shaft itself, bent it slightly?

something to check, more spit balling here then anything.

Alex

9. The Heater

\

That's a big 10-4 and AMEN, brother!