1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

possibly buying a terrain, anything i should know?

Discussion in 'Chevy Equinox Forum (GMC Terrain)' started by clgoch187, Jan 19, 2011.

1. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

well my wife really wants to get rid of her 03 Sentra SE-R and we both like the terrain so far, hopefully we can get a test drive in this weekend. i was just wondering what you guys thought of em after you had them a while, and is 32 mpg really accurate? any info or opinions would help me out a lot, thanks.
  2. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

really, 26 members have nothing to say about these? good or bad? this isnt the wealth of knowledge i was hoping it would be.....
  3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't own one, but was checking one out at the dealer a couple weeks ago. I was surprised at how roomy the interior looked and how nicely appointed they are inside for the price. I did read that the motors are underpowered, but haven't test driven any to provide real feedback. Let us know how you like it. I'm considering as a replacement to my wife's Volvo when the lease is up.
  4. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

I have 2 neighbours with them. one is fully loaded and the other less loaded. Both love them... they have 4 cylinders and they are happy with the mileage, but both have said some more power would be nice.
    I still think they are still to new. Me personally I would wait a year to ensure they have the bugs out. However I did buy one of the first 2007 NBS and only had minor issues that i would have expected from any new vehicle.
    get a loaded one! it's nicer with all the bells and whistles!
  5. NoxNoob

NoxNoob New Member

I know this is an old thread and the OP has probably already decided for/against buying the Terrain..but here is my .02 for anyone reading with the same question..

I have a 2010 Equinox which is identical to the Terrain under the skin so I can tell you this:
    1. the 4cyl is a smooth revving engine and more powerful than you think...coming from a Sentra you will already be familiar with how to drive a 4 banger to get the most acceleration. The V6 is also a good engine, but doesn't feel that much more powerful than the I4 (based on a personal test drive, and reading professional reviews) but does provide more torque if you plan to do some light towing.

2. The 32mpg highway is possible with the I4...but only if you can duplicate the EPA testing procedures exactly (65mph or under, pure gas with no ethanol etc..) Most people including myself get in the high 20's on the highway, and around 19-22mpg in town.. and consider that good for what is a relatively large, heavy vehicle.

3. You don't have to worry so much about the "new model" bugs with the Terrain because like I said it is based on the same basic platform as the Equinox...and even that goes back to 2003 starting with the Saturn Vue. The platform that the current Nox/Terrain rides on is a much tweaked/improved version of the original however..

4. Coming from a Sentra you will notice the extra size/roominess, ride height and quietness/smoothness of the Terrain...but you will also experience the normal SUV blind spots (get the backup camera) and it won't be as manuverable as your little Nissan.

Basically I started shopping with the intention of getting a small import SUV with a V6 engine, but after looking at/driving the best that Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai (and Ford as well) could offer I ended up with a domestic model with a 4cyl. After over a year of ownership I still think I made the right choice..