1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Possibly moving to another state........ AGAIN

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Camaro69car, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

So I'm not quite making it here in VA. Not enough $$$ without having a degree or experience.

So I'm most likely moving in with my grandparents in Ohio for about a year to save some $$$. And then who knows from there.

What I need to figure out...

1) How I'm going to get my stuff 8 hours away.
    2) How am I going to get my Girlfriends Cavalier there because I think that drive would kill it.
    3) Where am I going to work / move out to in 2016?

life throws you challenges all the time, Its all about having faith and overcoming them.

I am thankful for everyone in my life, and I look forward to hearing some suggestions / Help figuring out how I'm going to get this done.

I've never driven anything bigger than a 2500 silverado with a trailer. So keep that in mind as well.
  2. BRB46

BRB46 Member

As far as #1&#2 go, years ago i went down to Alabama to help move my sister from there to Williamsburg Va. We rented a medium sized Penske truck with the car front wheel trailer to tow her Honda Civic. It took us 12 hrs to make the trip. So that might be an option for you. Not sure how much stuff you need to move but they have sizes for almost every need. No special licenses to operate that sized vehicle. Best of luck to you in your endeavors.
  3. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

Thank you. I'm probably going to get a PENSKE truck and a full size dolly and have my girlfriend follow me down in my truck so I have something to drive back Sunday to get back to work.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Medium sized moving trucks are very friendly to drivers without experience, a truck and dolly are probably your best option.
    Make sure you reserve the truck and dolly in advance and dont let them upsell you on a full trailer, at pick-up time if they dont have a dolly make them give you a trailer at the rental price of a dolly.
    This type bait and switch is popular with truck rental outlets, happened every time I rented a truck/dolly.
    Look at one way flights vs driving back, it might be cheaper and faster if you book ahead of time.
    As for where to go in 2016, what are your skills, where are the job openings, what would be the best place financially to be located.
  5. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

Skills, Been doing phone technical support for about 2 years now. I cant do sales, or collections. so kinda narrow scope there.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Call center tech support, how do you feel about relocating to India? I hear theres alot of job openings there.
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Lol. I think a lot of us have had curveballs thrown at us where we have to cut way back and learn new skills. What are you good at? What do you want to do?
  8. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

Good at working with my hands, Although I have a back issue. I want to become a police officer, however most departments require a degree.