1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

power for 7 monitors

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by brownpridex111, Apr 13, 2010.

1. brownpridex111

brownpridex111 New Member

i am helping my brother in law to connect 7 monitors 4headrest 2sun visors1i flipdown we have everything ready but we dont know where get the power from and power for the video amp ?? we dont whant to burn any monitor ... anyone know how 2..... we connect the sunvisor monitor to the same power of the sterio is that safe to do??
  2. brownpridex111

brownpridex111 New Member

i guess no1 has more then 1 monitors in there trucks....
  3. ippielb

ippielb Active Member 1000 Posts

You will have to run more then one battery i'm thinking to keep all 7 monitors powered. You will have to run the power directly from the battery. I wouldn't recommend splicing it in, it might overheat the wiring and melt it, causing damage.
  4. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

Patience killer!

You should be able to run them all off the battery direct with an inline fuse...much like an amp.
  5. anven

anven New Member

I hate to bring the science into this, but this is a fairly easy calculation. Add up total power needed for the monitors. 3.5 inch display is about 0.8 Watt. So seven would be about 6 Watt. which at 12V is 0.5 Amps. This is something that a cigarette lighter can easily handle. Now if these are CRT monitors that take up 100W each - its a different story.

I say 5 amp fuse, 15 AWG wire and you'll be just fine.
  6. Ares89Burb

Ares89Burb New Member

Or if you really want to be safe, get an amp wiring kit with a power distribution block or two and wire your monitors up from that. Stash the blocks under the dash so you don't have a large gauge power cable running through the vehicle and just run what is needed for power from there to the monitors.