1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Power inside the bed

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Padre, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Padre

Padre New Member

I am looking to run a 2gauge wire into the rear of my bed, and then have a power distribution block. I would use a 50amp inline fuse up in the engine compartment.

The question is: how do I get the wire in to the bed? I've crawled under there and see no grommets or any other type holes. Any ideas?

Thanks!
  2. ippielb

ippielb Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Worst comes to worse drill yourself a hole.
  3. Padre

Padre New Member

Yeah, thought of that but wanted to avoid it if possible! :happy:
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

On my 05' Silverado there were several small holes in the front of the bed behind the cab, I used a coat hanger and fished them through that. The bed is hollow in the middle sandwiched between two pieces of sheetmetal on each side, I got it threaded all the way back to where the tail lights were and then I hit a dead end and had to pull it all back out. That was 4 hours of crawling around on my back for nothing, and on the NNBS trucks I have no idea. Just sharing an experience of mine, drilling holes in a new truck sucks I know but it just might have to be.
  5. TheUnit

TheUnit New Member

agreed. run along the length of the frame (with loom of course) and drill a hole just large enough for the grommet and cable. thats what......15 mins?! what exactly are you running 2AWG to the bed for?
  6. Padre

Padre New Member

To be safe. I have hooked up some mini-led rope lights for the bed, down each side and along the cab. I will also, hopefully, be installing an electric winch.
  7. TheUnit

TheUnit New Member

Ahh....I see. How's that batt switcher coming along?!?
  8. Padre

Padre New Member

I'm not gonna' go with one. I just hooked both batteries up to the alternator. I used 1/0 wire I got from a welding shop. Short run from the #2 battery to the alternator, longer to the original battery. But seems to be working great!
  9. Triton911BJ

Triton911BJ New Member

In my 05 Silverado i have 2 rear Flashing Blue Whelen Tir3's mounted. I ran my power wire along the frame and was able to come up the side by the rear tail lights, Take on of the tail lights off and look down. You should have more than enough space to run whatever you so desire. i posted a picture of the lights, not the best as in close but it can be done.

If you look to either side, you can see where i have the wire loom running into a eye lit for my wires just above them.

BJ

[​IMG]
  10. Padre

Padre New Member

Thanks Triton! That is exactly what I need to do! SUPER!!!:sign0011: