Power Inverter Install 2005 Sierra Crew Cab

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by troyclark, Jan 26, 2010.

1. troyclark

troyclark New Member

Hello, all as you can see I am a neewbie. I have a 05 Sierra crew cab and would like to wire up a 750 watt power inverter. In my last truck I just secured it under the hood and ran an extension cord but would rather not do that with this truck. Has anybody done this and if they have how much of a PITA is this to do. I need the inverter to warm up a baby bottle during a mini vacation as well as run an air pump and a few heaters while I transfer fish to and from Kansas City. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. troyclark

troyclark New Member

Anyone ???????

3. HD2DMAX

HD2DMAX Member

I have one of those that you plug into the cig lighter...works great.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Purchase a high capacity solenoid and secure it near the battery, use a heavy gauge wire, I always over build so I wouldnt think anything of using "OO" cable, but I doubt you need to go that big, route the cable through the firewall to where you'll be mounting the convertor.
    You can either wire the solenoid signal wire to a switch on the dash or into an ignition hot wire, I prefer a switch for two reasons, I can turn it off when not in use and I can still use it if the vehicles not running. On the flip side it's hot if I forget to turn it off and could rundown the battery.
    Run an inline fuse of appropriate load rating and your good to go.