1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Power locks and cigarette lighter fuse

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by kguygm, Dec 29, 2009.

1. kguygm

kguygm New Member

Hello. I am new to this forum so pls let me know if this is the right spot to post this question or if it would be better posted somewhere else. Thanks for your patience

I have a 1999 K1500 suburban with a cigarette lighter/door-lock fuse that keeps blowing. When I replace the fuse, it blows instantly. We have used the cigarette lighter to power electronics while traveling and it seemed to work ok. What is the best methodology in isolating the short?

thx,

Kguygm
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the club!
    BUMP!
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

unplug anything that is plugged in to the lighter socket to make sure its not causing the problem then check for any foreign objects that may have fallen into the socket
    those two things seem to be the main causes of cig lighter fuses blowing
  4. 98Subdriver

98Subdriver New Member

The cigarette lighter fuse in my 1998 Suburban does NOT control the power door locks. This is a very strange vehicle in that even a dealer cannot tell you where the fuse that controls the power door locks IS. I've actually been told by two dealer service managers these vehicles can have very different wiring harnesses. (????!!!!) How they do that when all the vehicles roll down the SAME assembly line I have no clue! If I were you, I'd look into just replacing the lighter unit (entire thing) and see if that helps.
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

For that bodystyle truck, the power locks should be controlled by a 30 amp circuit breaker that's to the left of the main grid of fuses on the left side of the dash. It's a big silver box. I forget whether it's circuit breaker A or B, but it's one of them.