Power Mirrors

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by brownbomb, Oct 14, 2006.

1. brownbomb

brownbomb Rockstar

My power mirrors are not working. Will replacing the power mirror control switch on the driver's side door correct the problem? Or is the motor that powers the mirrors in a different location? Thanks in advance for the info.

2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Check your fuses first before anything else. Then if the fuse is good go on to the switch, check it for juice, to make sure you don't have a broken wire.

Then check the motor for juice.

Sorry not sure where the motor is on these, but don't replace things before testing the things I mentioned above.

3. brownbomb

brownbomb Rockstar

Thanks. Fuses are good. Not sure where to check & see if motor is getting juice. I thought the motor for the mirrors may be built into the back of the switch control, but wasn't sure. I'll take it apart this afternoon & see if the switch & motor are 1 unit.

4. 84fiero123

I don't think it is near the switch, more likely in the door. So you will have to take the door pad off.

If you need help with that post and I will give you a link to a post I did on doorpad removal.

5. 84fiero123

Forgot to ask what year is yours?

Makes a difference on switch removal.

Also listen in the door and mirror area for the motor. If it is working,The motor you should be able to hear it.

6. brownbomb

brownbomb Rockstar

My burb is a '96. Not hearing any noise. That link to doorpad removal would be great. Also neither the driver's or passenger's side mirror is operating. I assume they run off the same motor?

7. 84fiero123

No different motors for each door, I belive.

Take a butter knife, ( my wife's favorite tool) Now slide it between the door pad and the door, start at the bottom. You will find after you slip it between that there are carrots that attach the door pad to the door.

They sell a tool to do this with and it will save the carrots, most parts stores carry them for a couple of bucks.

Don’t forget the screws under the handle that’s broke.

Any more than that just give us a holler we are here to help.

8. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Shop around

Shop around for mirrors if you need to replace them. I got the electric mirrors for my 93 burb from Pep Boys for $99ea. I could have picked them up for $77ea from Race Pages

9. brownbomb

brownbomb Rockstar

RE: Shop around

I just replaced the driver's side mirror (housing & all) recently so I'm sure the electrical components in the new mirror are good. I'm going to remove the door pad today or tomorrow & see where the switch motor is located. I''ll let you know.

10. brownbomb

brownbomb Rockstar

I finally got around to replacing the switch control to my power mirrors. This did the trick. They are now both working properly. It was an easy fix and the switch control cost $59.95 from C/K Resto. My old switch control must have had a short or just been generally worn out. I didn't have to remove the entire door panel either. Just the control bank on the driver's side - it snaps in/out pretty easy.

Roger