Power/speed. 5.3 chevy help please

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Tylert003, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Tylert003

Tylert003 New Member

Ok, so I'm kinda new to trucks that have any kind of power, considering my last truck was a 92 toyota pickup. Now I have a 2005 z71 4 door. Well, I race motocross, and I drag race atvs and dirt bikes in sand dunes. On both of my race bikes I've got a turbo set up, bbk, programmers, all kind of stuff. I can do almost anything to an atv or dirt bike. But I'm stupid when it comes to trucks. First off, how in the world do I fix this shutting off at 100 mess? I know people that have them so they don't shut off, I have a superchip/programmer if that helps any. Also, I tend to go to the drag strip to watch every once in a while and would love to put my 5.3 up against some of the trucks out there. Any help on turbo, super charger, or anything to add some power, remember, I'm a small engines guy, so put it in stupid terms. Price isn't a problem. Just sold my sxs and have some money to fool with

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You can do just about anything you want to the 5.3

Spend some time roaming around on the web hundreds and hundreds of items out there.

3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If it were me depending on how many miles you got on your motor. I'd do a full rebuild bore it out with a solid cam and all the other internal goodies. you should be ****tin and gettin then

4. Tylert003

Tylert003 New Member

I've only got 140,000 miles right now and the motor runs strong besides an annoying tick. A/c off, gets louder at high rpms, pulled cap off of oil filler and noise isn't coming from motor. Anyone had this problem before? And yes, planned on doing some internals after it starts getting sluggish, but for now I'm looking for external mods or "bolt ons" right now it's got a glass pack exhaust, k&n cold air intake (just recharged 250 miles ago) and a superchip programmer.

5. ronnyw8

ronnyw8 New Member

Many thanks for posting​
    [​IMG]

6. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 Rockstar 100 Posts

5.3 is a strong motor but with that many miles I would look into freshening it up some. Bottom ends are solid usually if the vehicle has been well taken care of. As far as turbo goes, I wouldn't suggest a rear mounted one. STS does make some good stuff though. The programmer will remove any speed limiter.

**********DISCLAIMER*********-it is to YOUR discretion to remove these limiters. I in no way am responsible for any:tickets, fatalities due to high speeds, wrecks, vehicle damage, or anything pertaining to the removal of the factory settings. All responsibility is taken at that point of the owner of the vehicle and its passengers.

Covering my tail, people these days. You may not be one like that but I'm doing that on every forum even atv/utv ones.

In your programmer there are settings that you can adjust when you plug the chip into your obd2. You want to turn the limiters off in the vehicle settings menu or whatever yours may be called.

If you know small engines and can turbo one of them then you should be able to handle doing a 5.3. If you ever have to rebuild your motor I would suggest going with the 4.8 because of how well it handles boost. I'm a 5.3/6.2 guy but a few buddies have the 4.8 turbo'd that will sure enough scoot on by a turbo 5.3. A good turbo set up will cost around 4k or so, after that I HIGHLY suggest not driving it until you can get it on a dyno ($500-800) and getting a tune done for it($300-500). No sense in running it too lean since programmers can't adjust the parameters to which it might need.

7. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

Whats the deal with 4.8T's beating 5.3T's ? this the first i've heard of that. weight? it couldnt be weight by much, arent 5,3L's just bored/stroked 4.8's?

8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the max speed is 100MPH. that is the highest speed GM has determined for this vehicle..

when that PCM shuts down @100 it is a shocker..

9. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Mine went to 135mph with the rev off and got squirrely! I got off the pedal but she was going stronger and the rpm's scared me off... 55'ish. I dyno, some badass diesel engines after they have been rebuilt for our "Brothers in Arms" and would not treat my daily engine, like we do. The 5.3 can do a lot more, with the correct gearing. My 2010 is @ 3:08 but soon to add 4:11.

10. bryane

bryane New Member

The only difference between 4.8 and 5.3 is 5.3 has a longer stroke.