1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Power Steering/Brakes DEAD on 2000 Yukon XL

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by scarpint, Feb 22, 2011.

1. scarpint

scarpint New Member

Greetings all,

Wife went to use the Yukon on Monday during a big snow (we've got three vehicles and the Yukon get's used for "special" occassions) and both the power steering and brakes don't work. Truck is 3/4 ton and I've learned the brakes are tied into the PS pump.

Serpentine belt is fine, but when I took the top off the PS to check the fluid, it was filled to the top. Talked with my regular mechanic and he says the pump is probably shot and the reason the PS pump was filled was from trying to turn the wheels with the pump broke.

Vehicle has 170,000 miles on it though the PS pump has leaked slowly since we owned it at 42,000 miles.

I've done some work on this vehicle (new alternator, new waterpump, new pullies, etc), but I'm no "expert" mechanic.

Given this, and a heated garage to work on a vehicle that can be "down" for a week or more, does replacing the pump sound like the thing to do, and is it something a weekender mechanic type can handle?

Thanks for considering,

Tim
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Hydrobooster..sounds like, the damn part is about 450 bucks and a PITA to change out.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club, Tim.
  4. scarpint

scarpint New Member

Thanks for the reply...I noted this part at AutoZone for $175 (if we're talking about the same thing).

PITA is not my thing. Sounds like I'm gonna run it to my Mechanic.

And thanks SDTB for the kind welcome. I've saved $$$s using a snowmobile forum to fix my sleds, so I'm hoping to pick some of the brainwaves here as well.

Cheers,

Tim
  5. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

just a heads up, the autozone ones are grap !!! i had 1 from them in my burb and it lasted 6 month..had to it all over and did not want to take an other chance at theyrs..i buy a lot from them but not when it comes to brakes and such major stuff GO WITH THE OEM PART !!!!! but maybe your lucky.

It looks like this...and they are actually not 450 bucks anymore..lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2d8d3509
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The reason they're a pain to replace is that to get to the pump, you have to remove the entire drivers-side accessory mounting bracket, and then press the power steering pully off the shaft before you can unbolt the pump. I would say it's not difficult to figure out, it's just time-consuming and the accesory bracket itself is a solid 50 pounds, not counting the accesories mounted to it.