1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Power steering fluid leak

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 98-chevy, Jul 27, 2010.

1. 98-chevy

98-chevy New Member

My '98 Chevy Silverado has a power steering leak, i have wiped it up and looked for the leak but I can't find anything. Has anyone had this problem or know where it might be leaking from?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

MOst likely your high pressure hose from the back of the pump.. That is the weak link in the system and the most common place for power steering leaks.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what murdog94 said. Had to change my '96 Suburbans a few years back.

4. engineerbrian

engineerbrian Member

X3 on that one! My 95's hose was leaking about a year ago. i didn't realize until i replaced it that it actually bends around on the inside of the frame. I guess its bent for cooling? Anyways, the metal tubing that sat in the framing was rusted away, but it's a quick, easy fix

Brian

5. hundojoe

hundojoe Rockstar 100 Posts

Also have seen the hoses start to leak at the crimp between the rubber coated braided line and the steel hard line.

6. 98-chevy

98-chevy New Member

Alright thanks, ill check that out.