Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Power steering issues

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bartmk, Sep 28, 2010.

1. bartmk

bartmk New Member

Hey Everybody,
    I'm sure this is answered somewhere else so if someone could help me out or point me in the right direction that would be great. I have a '01 Silverado Z71 that in the past week has started acting up. At slow speeds when I turn to the left (and only to the left) I hear a groaning sound coming from behind the steering wheel and if feels as though my power steering gets really week (it takes effort on my part to turn the wheel while it's doing this). At higher speeds I don't notice it at all. The truck seems to drive straight and doesn't wander at all. I'm thinking the steering gear box is going but wanted to see what you all thought before the drop the $$$. Thanks!

2. Farmerdave

Farmerdave Rockstar 100 Posts

Its more than likely your power steering pump not your gear box. Have you checked the fluid level? Sometimes if it is doing that only when the motor is at low RPM's its from low oil.

3. bwoody

bwoody New Member

my 97 is doint the same thing..its like the pump is wore out and i only notice it at low rpms..but i put it on the lift at work and noticed that the gearbox is leaking so im just going to replace them both..also the fluid could be contaminated...its recomended to flush pws like every 30,000 to 60,000 but not many people do it.

4. DTACA Burban

DTACA Burban Member

My '07 classic 1500 4x4 crew has the same problem. I searched on here but had trouble finding an exact fix. I have no leaks on box or pump and fluid is full and clear. Any additional input would be great guys. Thanks Dan

5. bartmk

bartmk New Member

Fluid is fine and no leaks. The thing that makes me think it's the gear box going out and not the pump is that it only happens when I turn left.