Power steering leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 98suburban, Jul 12, 2009.

1. 98suburban

98suburban New Member

How can tell if the leak from my power steering is coming from the pump or the hoses. I have cleaned the area and ran the engine and turned the wheel. Is there a particular area I need to look?

2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Wherever it starts to get wet from fluid after you've cleaned it real good is where you'll find your leak. Just check everything in the system good.

3. X-Hibition

X-Hibition Rockstar 100 Posts

Leaks can be a real problem to find because the fluid will run and drip. Lightly cinch up the threaded connections and hose clamps to verify everything is tight. Be careful, like mine, everything on yours is eleven years old. With everything clean lay down some clean towels to help isolate the drip and make your search a little easier.

Don't drive around with power steering fluid soaked towels in the engine compartment...

And welcome.

4. 97chevz71

97chevz71 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I had the same problem all i did was take the fluid out of the resivor and put valoline stop leak in it and it has not went down it a couple thousand miles.

5. X-Hibition

X-Hibition Rockstar 100 Posts

Better wrenching through chemicals, good suggestion.

6. 98suburban

98suburban New Member

Thanks for you suggestion about the stop leak. I am a novice at this, did you just drain the resevoir through the connection at the bottom of the pump?

7. sallison

sallison New Member

Be sure to check the metal and rubber lines. they hide the leak well because alot of times they have a sheath on them and the leak comes where the rubber meets the metal that is often times covered.