1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Power steering problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dboii313, Oct 30, 2009.

1. dboii313

dboii313 New Member

I have a 97 suburban and the steering sometimes feels like there is no power steering when turning from either a stand still or when parking until I give it gas. What could be the problem, I've checked the fluid level and all is fine and there are no leaks. I'm not sure how to diagnose and/or fix the problem. Please help my arms can't take any more muscle turns.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Its gonna do that just because your idle is sitting low and the belt is moving slower to, when it speeds up it gets the pump moving faster moving more fluid. If you pump starts whining or the belt is constantly squeeking then one of the two is failing. Otherwise it would be the rack and pinion, but even then it would most likely be leaking
  3. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike Rockstar 100 Posts

do you have a hydroboost system on yours ?
  4. 454 2500 burban

454 2500 burban New Member

i would have to agree with vncj96 with that.