Power Steering Pump?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by blueZ71, Mar 19, 2009.

1. blueZ71

blueZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

If I crank the wheels all the way either direction the power steering pump makes a clicking noise, when I'm at a dead stop and need to turn the wheels I have to power brake to help the power steering pump kick in so I can turn the wheel, and lastly if I'm coasting into a turn I have a hard time turning the wheel as the pump seems not to be assisting me with steering so I tend to take turns with my foot into it a bit. This all leads me to believe my power steering pump needs replacing (although please correct me if I'm wrong..)

So my real question here is, which pump do I need? Autozone has 4 different ones listed (and ACDelco 2) on the website for a 2000 silverado 5.3 w/4WD. With or without a resorvoir and with vacuum booster or hydrobooster? Thanks guys!

2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

well the reservoir is just if you want to have a new one or reuse your old one, hydro boost correct me if im wrong is the p/s assisted braking there will be lines running from the p/s pump to the master cylinder area

3. blueZ71

blueZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

It's 57 for the ACDelco part on www.gmpartsclub.com with a 70 core charge... Anyone had experience with this retailer?

4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

cant say i have ever used them before, i usually go with napa or or another local store