Power Steering Pump

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by Bryan, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Bryan

Bryan New Member

Hey all,

I am an owner of a 2004 TB with 52,000 miles and recently took it into dealership due to a roaring noise coming from engine that happens just on occassion when I accelerate. I was told that there was a service bulletin about power steering and fluid that was used for cold climates and that my pump maybe damage. It was suggested that I try having the break fluid systems cleaned out and replaced with new break fluid which i had them do it, but said if that wouldnt help the problem then the pump would need to be replaced at a cost of $500.00. I spent $140 and problem happened again, but just once driving from work in traffic. I can not find this service bulletin and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this problem and if anyone else had problems with the power steering pump and at 52,000 miles is it reasonable that a pump would need to be replaced. I love my TB but if this is a sign of things to come after 50,000 miles then I am thinking about trading and not for another TB. Thanks for your help or input.

Bryan Norris
    Raleigh, North Carolina

2. Dj Friction

Dj Friction Rockstar 100 Posts

Bryan........I can't say that I have ever had a power steering problem, unless there was a leak and ran the pump dry.

I would not think that with 50k and no real problems, (leaks) you would run out a power steering pump.

Sounds like a defect in the workmanship.

3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

First look up any recalls, and Service Bulletins for your particular truck, here,

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

Some dealers will not admit that there is a problem unless you can prove it to them. The more knowledgeable you are when you go in for service the better you will be treated.

Not familiar with the TB so I can’t be of much more help. I have never had any trouble with the power steering system on any vehicle over the years unless it was run out of fluid because of a leak somewhere also.

Finding an intermittent problem or noise can be difficult, if not impossible. Try and give us a little more info on your truck, engine size/type, trany, and anything else that might have bearing on you problem.

When does this happen?
    Just driving down the highway?
    Off roading?
    Turning tight at low speeds, or high speeds?
    As much info as possible will help find the problem.

Is it possible the roar could be a loose exhaust?

4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I haven't poked around under the hood of an TB either, but the first thought that I had was the fan clutch. That is assuming that the TB has one. I believe that late model GM's use an electronically controlled fan clutch. I found this TSB:
    • TSB #060602003 -- OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS OF THE ELECTRO-VISCOUS (EV) FAN CLUTCH AND DIAGNOSTIC TIPS FOR COOLING FAN NOISE, DELAYED TRANSMISSION SHIFTS AND/OR ENGINE REVVING TOO HIGH. *TT (NHTSA ID #10019510, FEBRUARY 01 2006)

5. Bryan

Bryan New Member

Thanks

Thanks guys for your input and advice. One of the first things the service advisor at dealership said when I was describing the problem is that it sounded like the fan clutch had gone bad and that was a common problem with the Trailblazer. The problem doesnt happen often and since having the break fluid system flushed, the same noise has happened only once since then and I have taken it around the city for a long drive. I think when I take it back in that the focus needs to be on the fan clutch, because it sounds like a roaring sound. Thanks again guys and especially your input Unplugged. I really appreciate.

Bryan Norris
    Raleigh, NC

6. SteelyDanielle

SteelyDanielle New Member

Bryan:

I have a 2003 TB with about 75,000 miles. At a regular oil change, I was informed a whirring noise was coming from my power steering pump. I had not complained about this noise, only the noise coming from the driver side wheel area, a part that had come apart and was making a rattle, which they did fix for a few dollars. But now they want me to give them $400 for a new power steering pump -- because "it may go out in 10,000 miles or it may go out next week." They also told me the p/s fluid level was low. I think I am going to watch the fluid level and just hope for the best. It has been my experience that costly problems started right after my extended warranty expired -- at around 65,000 miles (shocks/struts, coolant system--signaled by "check engine" idiot light). I truly believe that most auto repair shops are doom-and-gloom purveyors who will try to scare people like me into putting my precious dollars into their greasy pockets.

Shelley
    Monrovia, CA

7. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

Best way to narrow it down: pop the fan clutch off and drive around a bit to see what happens.
    Generally, power steering pumps make more of a whiny "rrrrrrrr" noise when they go bad.

8. trailheavy

trailheavy New Member

The trailblazer fan clutch are know to go out anytime they will go out at 1000 miles or 80000 miles you never know when. Have you did a search on a different forums about trailblazer at all.

9. scrappiedew1

scrappiedew1 Rockstar

if you replace your pump that is 80 percent of your fluid , i have never had brake fluid flush some of that is a money maker i feel

10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Try some Lucas oil power steering additive. I used a few years ago in my 1996 4X4 Suburban and the noise from the power steering pump stopped.