Power steering

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by talltaylor, Jan 19, 2009.

1. talltaylor

talltaylor New Member

When the weather is cold, my power steering doesn't want to turn until after a few minutes. Could there be water in the lines?

2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

No, sounds like internal seals are hard letting fluid to bypass until the seals warm up. Replace the pump know before it craps out on you altogether.

3. talltaylor

talltaylor New Member

So I probably need a new PS pump then?

4. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

You got it.

5. talltaylor

talltaylor New Member

Thanks for the help!!

6. ibmoses

ibmoses Rockstar 100 Posts

I think I saw a TSB about this. Look for the GM Technical Information thread.

Bert:eek:ut:

7. talltaylor

talltaylor New Member

At the risk of showing more of my ignorance of this forum, how do I get to that?

8. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

you may want to before you go to all the trouble of replacing the pump check all your lines first to make sure none of them are kinked or crimped anywhere.
    Another thing, do you let your truck warm up and idle down before you take off in it??? I know a LOT of people that don't and when you don't there's not enough oil in all the places it needs to be in the motor and things aren't circulating like they should. If you had a restriction in the lines or they are blocked some how then the pump should actually (depending on how much of a blockage) be slinging fluid out the top of the PS pump.

I actually had an issue similar to this with my 89 silverado sport truck but it wound up being the belt tensioning pulley that resolved my issue. I wound up having to replace my pump too but later and only because the pulley got smacked with a wrench and warped the shaft on the pump before I realized it. The main issue with changing out the pump is (if you ever have to) get the pulley tool for removing and reinstalling the pump pulley with. otherwise you get to do like I had to and go on the great American replacement pulley hunt (found one at Autozone the only one in all of nashville at the time)

good luck with it and let us know if any of this helps and that you got it fixed or not.

9. talltaylor

talltaylor New Member

I have been letting my truck warm up some but not all the time. I replaced a ps pump on a friends car before and was smart enough to rent the pully tool. I will be replacing it in the near future. The boss(wife) doesn't think it's nessesary at this time.

Thanks for the input.