Power to everything but starter won't turn

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ChameleonBob, Jun 7, 2010.

1. ChameleonBob

ChameleonBob New Member

Hey guys and gals,
    I'm sure this problem has been talked about on here before but I couldn't find an exact answer. I have have 2005 silverado and when I turn the key to start it sometimes I get nothing. But everything turns on and functional but when I turn the key nothing. Sometimes it starts right up other times it takes a couple tries to get it started. is this an ignition swith?

2. ChameleonBob

ChameleonBob New Member

Also it can go a week or 2 without ever doing it and then one week it might do it once a day.

3. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

clean your battery terminals and look for corrosion where your grounds go to the chassis.

4. ChameleonBob

ChameleonBob New Member

I will try that thanks for the tip.

5. 96_Tahoe

96_Tahoe New Member

If that doesn't work, also check your connection on the starter itself, Mine did the same thing and had just worked itself a bit loose. Took two mins to get the tools out climb under and tighten it, hasn't been an issue since.

6. ChameleonBob

ChameleonBob New Member

Thanks so far it sounds like an easy fix.

7. ChameleonBob

ChameleonBob New Member

Checked all my connections for corrrosion or being loose and came up with nothing. Think I might start by changing the ignition swithch then going from there.

8. jdsnowfire

jdsnowfire New Member

probably the starter solenoid- check have someone hold the key in start(when it is acting up) and check for voltage at the solenoid. if you have power to the solenoid only with the key in start than your starter solenoid is bad. if you have no power in start than it is a broken wire or ignition switch.
    i had the same problem with my 02 duramax- replaced the ignition switch($200) before i thought about checking for current at the solenoid- solenoid was bad- but had to replace the entire starter.

9. 96_Tahoe

96_Tahoe New Member

I agree with the above post... See if you are getting power to the selenoid.

10. ChameleonBob

ChameleonBob New Member

Thanks for the replys I've kind of forgot about the problem since it hasn't happened since the last post(and today it'll happen) I'll definitly check the solenoid tonight.