1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Power window failure.

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by tigersdl65, Apr 27, 2011.

1. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 New Member

The power windows in my 96 chevy no longer work. Its been a gradual failure not all at once. So im asking what the problem could be. If it is the buttons, or a bigger problem? Or do i just need to replace the circuit board in the door panel? THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!
  2. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 New Member

I would first check the switches and go from there. You are probably going to have to remove the door panel and do some checking around. I would hook up direct power to the motor and see if the motor works or not. This way you can start eliminating parts as you investigate. Hopefully it isn't the motor themselves, I know those can sometimes run a quite of bit of money.
  3. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 New Member

Alright I see your point, and i know its the motors because the driver side switch will roll the passenger window down and not up, while the passenger side switch will roll the passenger window up but not down. But since you suggested it and im curious, how would i go about putting direct power to the motor??
  4. alb9110

alb9110 New Member

im having the same problem on my truck. what happens is the window regulator "motor" has cables that open and close the windows over time the cables start to wear out because of some of the tension. its a pretty simple fix just take the door pannel off followed by any bolts holding the regulator in place while someone holds the window so its doesnt fall in the door and possibly break. install new regulator and test that it works. to make it move a little easier you can use some sort of air can type lubricator to lube up where the window slides up and down. part is about $100 atleast thats what i paid for mine.
    1 person likes this.