1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Power window motor

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by vncj96, Sep 22, 2010.

1. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My window doesnt work on my drviers side so i assume its the motor for that window, as the passnger side still works from the drivers side switch. But is there a way to actually test it or is it just a crap shoot. this is for my 99 Silverado
  2. GMGUY

GMGUY Member

Put a test light between the 2 terminals on the harness side of the power window motor. Turn the key on and hit the switch. If the test light lights in both directions you need a motor.
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

How can i tell if the regulator is bad as well, will it be apperent, either the cables are rusted, broke?
  4. Velocity1

Velocity1 Rockstar

Just replaced my passenger side actuator, almost 2 years to the day from the driver's side replacement. My glass man told me 2 years ago he thought I had about 6 months. I don't use the truck as a daily driver nor do I regularly roll the windows up and down so I guess that's why it lasted. Fairly common in these trucks and other than noticable slower than normal operating speed, failures occur when you least expect it and when they fail they're done and need to be replaced.

Good luck. Hopefully you catch it before it happens when it's raining like I just did.
  5. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

I had the same issue on my '02. I just replaced the driver's side motor. It quit working for about a day then all of a sudden it worked for 4 months then died again.