Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

powerglide vs t400

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jimmy billy, Dec 14, 2013.

1. jimmy billy

jimmy billy New Member

Well im geting two trannys for $160. One is a 70's 2 speed powerglide and the other is a 3 speed t400. I know the 400 is a good tranny BUT ive heard of the powerglides being awsome trannys for drag racing. I know you need to rebuild them and mod a few things and youll have a tranny that will take any amount of hp you throw at it. Im not really going to street it im probobly going to drag and drift with the ttranny i pick. Anybody has used a powerglide before or knows alot about them please let me know thank you.
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My dad just had a 1953 cast iron power glide rebuilt last year, it cost him $1,100 total. His truck is a daily driver though, sorry I couldn't help more.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I was using a 2 speed powerglide behind a 383 in a rockcrawler I have.
    The only complaint I ever had about the powerglide was not enough gears, it was strong enough to handle much more power than my engine produced.
    But for a daily driver that travels any distance its limited on top end, which also kills fuel mileage.
    Due to not having a trailer at the time I swapped it for a TH400 and a short time later that was swapped for a built 700r4.
    The powerglide has lived behind a friends built and supercharged 383 for 3 years with no issues.
  4. jimmy billy

jimmy billy New Member

Thanks guys. So if im not dailing it it should be fine for what i want to do then?
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Couldnt tell ya about drifting but a good choice for drag racing.
  6. jimmy billy

jimmy billy New Member

Ok the way i see it the course we have isnt very big so i dont think id leave first gear. What slapshift should i go with for it???
  7. jimmy billy

jimmy billy New Member

Ok! Looks like im not using the powerglide :-( it has massive shaft play in the rear and the front little shaft can be pulled out over an inch!! And it turns out its a pontiac tranny :'( the bolt paddern isnt the same as the th400. And in the middle of the bellhousing at the top its cuped down. So i guess im using the th400 now.