1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Premium vs regular unleaded fuel.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Mar 11, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

When I buy a vehicle, I buy it with the intention of driving it. If it means more wear and tear on the engine, then you replace those parts ( within reason ) before moving on to the next vehicle.

If I wanted to garage the truck and make it a show vehicle on a pedestal; I would, but that is not the case.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Since when did running 87 equate to garaging a truck and making it a show vehicle? LOL
  3. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Interesting story, but irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

It appears that this thread has stirred up quite a few somewhat emotional posts. While I do agree higher octane gasoline does make a difference in high performance vehicles, these are pickup trucks.

Unless the manufacturer state premium required, running premium is pretty much a waste of money.

Performance tunes are another valid reason to run premium gas as the tune will adjust engine timing for additional power.

I have read a few posts in these threads that indicate that the user runs premium gas because it makes them feel better. If that feeling is worth ~$6 a tank more, go right ahead.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had many Chevrolet trucks.

2.2L (S-10)
    4.3L (W/T)
    5.0L
    5.3L

I even had a 4.0L Ford Explorer and none of them "knocked" during acceleration.
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you really want to get down to raw numbers, you will need to get 2 stock silverado's that are identical in engine, drive train and weight.

Fill one with 87oct and the other with 93 and then run some tests.....

I will with 99% accuracy guarantee that the truck running the 93oct. will respond better, have better engine wear, etc than the one running 87oct. Even though 87oct is the "minimum" recommended octane for the 5.3L even if it is better by 0.5% better than the 93oct.

Tuning the engine for 93oct. will increase that percentage to between 3-5% better. You also need to differentiate between gas with 10% ethanol and ethanol free gas, and the cost difference between all 6 of those blends.

I look at it this way. I fill up once a week. depending on gas prices I sit at about $65-$88 per 22 gallons of gas.

$5 more to go with 93oct is not going to kill me. Do you smoke or drink or drink coffee? $5 is less than what most people spend on 1 cup of coffee, and allot less if you have 2-4 cups a day.

So the $5 is almost as meaning less and trying to compare the difference betwen 87 and 93 oct.

If I would not burn up the seals and gaskets in the engine, kerosene for 101-110oct fuel is actually better, but you will blow a normal engine like our trucks have using that stuff in them.
  5. stchman

Do you have any empirical data to back up your claims?

You and the manufacturer appear to disagree. Since the manufacturer knows about their products better than you or I do, I will go with their recommendation.

The engine's fuel management system is perfectly capable of handling a lower octane fuel.

Every study I have ever read is that the fuel mileage increase with premium gas in an engine that does not require premium gas is negligible. Certainly not worth the price difference.

Wear better???!!!! As my British neighbor says, "bollocks".

I'm not saying higher octane fuel does not have its place. If I was racing my truck, a few tenths of a second might be the difference between winning and losing. I don't race my truck, so premium fuel is not needed. I set my truck's cruise control at 65 on the highway and there is certainly no benefit of using premium gas for that.
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Even tho I use exclusively 87 for price reasons, it costs 20+ cents more for it per gallon in CT, in the 1996 Suburban/Tahoe manual it says use at least 87oct fuel and it is safe to use higher and it may reduce "knock" but if the engine is knocking bad on 87 service the truck immediately.

In my opinion both are fine if your using the truck as a daily driver, but why spend the extra. This is coming from a very down to earth High Schooler who owns a 198,600+ mile truck that gets 12 on a good day and doesn't have a real job, so I'm as cheap/thrifty as possible. Also I think ethanol isn't all its cracked up to be... My truck normally runs on the reg 10% blend, but when I put the non-ethanol gas in the truck seems a little happier.

Keep in mind my truck is bare bone stock in terms of its powertrain.
  7. stchman

From what I understand, the overwhelming majority of the gasoline sold in the US is 10% ethanol. I would love to find a station that sells ethanol free gas.
  8. Conlan Rose

Many in Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, and up state New York sell it. This is because these areas get most of their gas from Canada not the refineries in New Jersey like the rest of the north east.
  9. stchman

There are a few stations here in Missouri that sell it (Google search), but they are way out in the country. I would have to drive for about an hour to reach a station.
  10. Conlan Rose

That's definitely not worth it. I only get ethanol free gas when in VT with the truck.