1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Premium vs regular unleaded fuel.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Mar 11, 2013.

1. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

In New Brunswick, most stations stock only regular and premium (2 tanks), the middle grades are mixed by the pumps to provide the desired octane.

We also have ethanol added to the regular and, by law, it can not be added to the premium. Therefore, the middle grades will always have a percentage of ethanol.

2. JTward1

JTward1 Member

Well your right, I have a supercharged 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GT and it has a Eaton M90 self lubricating supercharger and it stipulates that the engine be run on a minimum of 91 octane and absolutely no more than 10% ethanol. And I have a 2003 Corvette with the LS1 engine and it too, stipulates that the fuel also be a minimum of 91 octane. It does state in both owners manuals that ' if ' 91 isn't available, in a pinch use regular 87 octane, but once you can refuel, use 91 octane. The only thing that separates 93 octane and regular 87 octane is two fold, the higher octane has a much better additives package, and two it's cleaner. In New Jersey last year, the state did a survey of twenty independent owned gas stations checking not for accuracy of dispensed amount, but for quality. Of the twenty 14 were selling regular 87 for 93 octane. and for regular 87 they were selling regular fuel that had a octane rating of under 94 octane. So go figure on what you put in your gas tank. The best thing you can do for your vehicle is use a 'Top Tier' Gasoline. All top tier fuels meet current engineering standards. go to www.toptiergas.com for the list of the fuels included.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. Crispyt

Crispyt Rockstar 100 Posts

Higher octane fuel doesn't really give you more horsepower, it gives you more torque because a higher octane fuel burns slightly slower so you get a longer power stroke which gives you more torque. In comparison to diesel engines, one of the reasons why a diesel engine makes less horsepower and more torque is because diesel fuel burns a lot slower than gasoline does, making a diesel power stroke a lot longer because you have a longer burning flame to push the piston down.

4. JTward1

JTward1 Member

Absolutely correct ! In the coming years, (Mark my words) the biggest impediment to engines, both domestic and foreign is going to be "Quality" not "Quantity". Already I read that the EPA is going forward with E-15 at every street gasoline. Well besides the highly corrosive nature of ethanol, the gasoline is going to bring performance down. 93 Octane is only useful in higher compression engines of which many domestic and overseas auto manufactures depend on. Audi, MB and BMW have already issued a statement that if E-15 is used in their preset cars, your warranty is void after the damage is done. So go figure. A friend of mine comes from Ecuador and he has told me that the majority of the cars and trucks are Japanese and come with Stainless steel fuel systems as they only have, or the most used gasoline is 87 octane E-85 in South America. But they have thousands of acres of sugar cane to be refines into E-85, The mileage is terrible but the gasoline is cheap.

5. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The thing that gets me is that pretty much every car on the road runs without issue on E-10. Would 5% more ethanol be that damaging? I find it difficult to believe.

Will Audi and BMW stop selling cars in the US if E-15 becomes fairly widespread? NO.

6. JTward1

JTward1 Member

Well that would depend, How many times have you fueled up your truck ? Now consider how 50% more ethanol is in it. Ethanol will give you higher octane, yes, but it burns at a lower temperature, thus your mileage goes down. It's the nature of the fuel. Ethanol is an oxygenate and it mixes more air into the fuel, but that oxygen has a lot more water in it. But water and gasoline don't mix. So, say you fuel up and take off, . . the engines going to run great, but since water/ethanol is heaver than oil it sinks to the bottom of your gas tank and once it's burned off the engine starts to run on the petroleum part of your fuel. Now I'll bet you'll never notice the switch, . . . But your engine sure as heck will. Ethanol/water now sits over night day in day out, and all those tiny little metal parts in your fuel pump and in the gauge and fuel injectors start to degrade. Over time you'll develop fuel system problems. It depends on how long you keep your vehicle. But sometime, somewhere, someone is going to fall pray to the corrosive effects of Ethanol. Go to any auto parts store or even Home Depot, they sell little bottles of something that's suppose to "Clean out your fuel tanks that are effected by ethanol" Just read the label one time ! If your lawn equipment is effected by ethanol, what do you think is going on down in your trucks fuel tanks ? The lunacy of this thinking is the EPA last year came to an agreement with the three biggest auto makers that all vehicles reach a overall MPG of 54 MPG by 2020 or 2024 , I forget which. Now they clearly did this despite the fact that they even know themselves that the more ethanol in your gas tank, the worse off your MPG is going to get. So I don't know . . . go figure. I don't know why the folks inside the Washington beltway do what they do, when they do it. Try calling your local Congressmen or Senator. See if you can even talk to them, it ain't going to happen. These guys don't even know your there. And you trucks engine, well So. . .

7. stchman

If E-15 is so horrid, what would E-85 do?

8. JTward1

JTward1 Member

Well, I'm sure you've seen a Chevy Tahoe or two with that cute little badge on it butt, "Flex-Fuel" That's the version with a stainless steel fuel system. If E-85 come into being, it'll take a few car engine fire for the government to adjust their thinking. But I think I can assure you Washington could care less if your ride goes up in flames, It's for the 'greater good' Just like "Cash for Clunkers" was. Boy there was a real smart program ????????

9. stchman

My 2013 has a sticker on the side window that says it's flex fuel capable, also has the yellow fuel cap.

Anytime you get the feds involved in "regulating" something, they usually screw it up or it make things cost more.

10. JTward1

JTward1 Member

Yes, The 18 amendment proved without a doubt how only elected idiots in Washington, whom can take the most accepted concept and destroy it. Of course they seek salvation by issuing the 22 amendment. Close to a hundred years later, here we are with flex fuel and the corner gas station offerings.